Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
First of all I am a mere mortal NOT Barbra Steisand.

Now on that note what are the chances of Apple responding to some feedback regarding Siri behaviour and implementing my suggestion.

What I am after is a way for Siri to play ONLY downloaded music when asked.

On iOS 9 I could set "Show Only Downloaded Music" and then when you ask Siri to play all music she would play only the music that was downloaded, however on iOS 10 the music app now has separate sections for All Music & Downloaded music and thats where the problem lies.

If you ask Siri to play all music on iOS10 she will play everything as you would expect.

If you ask Siri to "Play only Downloaded music" she will go off and find an album with download in the title, I have tried various variations of the phrase but with none resulting in only my downloaded music playing.

For me my downloaded music is managed by smart playlists and is generally the music I listen to on a regular basis and is the section I use the most.

The reason I want Siri to play only offline music is because when I plug the iPhone into my head unit since iOS 10 it shows all my music on my head unit and scrolling 10,000 songs compared to 400 on a single line LCD is nearly impossible and very dangerous when driving. (I have suggested to apple to have toggle for 3rd party docks etc so they only show downloaded music or all music based on this switch but thats been ignored)

So now I connect my phone via bluetooth but of course unless I manually go into the downloaded section and start a song playing if I hit play on the head unit it starts the music from the All Music section.

All I want to be able to do when in the car and connected via bluetooth is to go "Hey Siri play downloaded music" and have only downloaded music playing.

In an ideal world Apple would add the toggle I requested to hide/show all music to 3rd party accessories but thats highly unlikely so Siri is the only way I can see going forward to solve my issue.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
LOL :D
Seriously though, the chances of Apple making ANY changes at all, based on user Feedback is little to none, and Siri is every bit as likely a candidate as any other feature request.

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
I've submitted it via feedback assistant, but seriously "Hey Siri play downloaded music" shouldn't be a hard request, the section is there in the bloody music app for crying out loud.

Its crap like this that makes me believe these virtual assistants have a long long way to go before they are even remotely usable for anything other than a gimmick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.