Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I would like to change my Apple ID password and perhaps enable two-step verification. However, I have Back To My Mac setup on an iMac on another continent. If I change my Apple ID password locally, will I lose access to the iMac?

I thought about changing the Apple ID password through screen sharing on the remote iMac first before reentering the new password locally. I'm worried that I would lose my connection to the remote iMac though.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
If you change your Apple ID password all iCloud operations are immediately suspended on all devices until the new password is typed in. So that would mean you cannot access your remote iMac via Back to My Mac.

However, here is a possible solution:

When you use two-factor authentication, you don't need to update your passwords on all your devices when your password is changed (it says so right at the bottom of this article).

So, if you enable two-factor authentication and then change your password, you should be okay.

Possible problem:

If you are currently using two-step verification (which is different from two-factor authentication - if you're not familiar with the differences this article explains it well) then upgrading to two-factor authentication requires turning off two-step verification, and when that is done you have to type your password in on all your devices again - a possible problem.

However, your password hasn't changed. So the services like Back to My Mac should still operate even whilst password entry is being requested. If you had changed your password, the services would cease.

TL;DR: if you're currently using no iCloud multi-step security then upgrade to two-factor authentication before changing your password and you'll be fine.

If you're currently using two-step verification, proceed with caution but it should be okay.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
If you change your Apple ID password all iCloud operations are immediately suspended on all devices until the new password is typed in. So that would mean you cannot access your remote iMac via Back to My Mac.

However, here is a possible solution:

When you use two-factor authentication, you don't need to update your passwords on all your devices when your password is changed (it says so right at the bottom of this article).

So, if you enable two-factor authentication and then change your password, you should be okay.

Possible problem:

If you are currently using two-step verification (which is different from two-factor authentication - if you're not familiar with the differences this article explains it well) then upgrading to two-factor authentication requires turning off two-step verification, and when that is done you have to type your password in on all your devices again - a possible problem.

However, your password hasn't changed. So the services like Back to My Mac should still operate even whilst password entry is being requested. If you had changed your password, the services would cease.

TL;DR: if you're currently using no iCloud multi-step security then upgrade to two-factor authentication before changing your password and you'll be fine.

If you're currently using two-step verification, proceed with caution but it should be okay.

Thank you for the detailed reply! I think you've offered the best advice possible. I have two-step verification, but I will try turning it off and upgrading to two-step authentication without changing the password itself. I'll see what happens, and I'll post the results.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Thanks @Brookzy ! I realized that I did not have two-step verification enabled (I confused it with iCloud Keychain's verification process). I followed your advice for enabling two-factor authentication before changing the password. I enabled two-factor authentication on my local MacBook and was still able to connect to the remote iMac via Back To My Mac. I then changed my Apple ID password via the Apple ID website on my local MacBook while still connected to the remote iMac. I was able to confirm the password change on the remote iMac without losing the connection.

It would be interesting to note though that after applying the El Capitan 10.11.6 update on the remote iMac and waiting for the iMac to restart, I could no longer connect via Back To My Mac. That issue was solved with advice from this thread by having someone factory reset the Airport Extreme the remote iMac is connected to, which disabled Back To My Mac on the Airport Extreme itself.

Thanks so much for your help!

Reactions: Brookzy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.