Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
How?
This article says yes, using Disk Utility. Select your sparse image in the left sidebar, select File:Change password.

Here's the thing, When the sparse image is mounted, change password is grayed out. And when I unmount the sparse image, it no longer appears in the left sidebar to be selected. I'm using Sierra.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Try it in Terminal (just drag the file into the window):
Code:
hdiutil chpass <sparsebundle>

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Try it in Terminal (just drag the file into the window):
Code:
hdiutil chpass <sparsebundle>

You you saying open the Terminal, type this in, and then drag the file to the terminal window? Where is the new password entered, and does it make you enter it twice? Thanks!

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
You you saying open the Terminal, type this in, and then drag the file to the terminal window? Where is the new password entered, and does it make you enter it twice? Thanks!

You type the first two words, add a final space and then drag the sparsebundle in. Then press enter. It will ask for the existing password or will retrieve it from your keychain. I think, but am not sure, that it will ask twice for the new password. That is standard procedure.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You type the first two words, add a final space and then drag the sparsebundle in. Then press enter. It will ask for the existing password or will retrieve it from your keychain. I think, but am not sure, that it will ask twice for the new password. That is standard procedure.
Thanks again, I'll try this! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.