Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamsmith100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Hi all,

I have a MacBook Pro 2012 13 inch that has been acting weird lately, and I am pretty sure it is a hardware problem. I've scheduled an appointment at an Apple store to see what is wrong.

I upgraded my computer a few months back from 4GB to 16GB ram. I know that apple doesn't officially support 16GB ram in this model. So, should I switch the ram back to 4GB before the appointment, or will the Apple store not care?

Thanks!

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
The wrong kind of ram, kan make it behave "weird". Have you tried reverting to the original ram and see if it makes a difference?

The various suppliers of memory has special Apple Ram. It is not any different or more expensive that their other offering, it just garanties the correct timings (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_timings) for Apple hardware.

Reactions: adamsmith100

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
Swap the RAM and see if the computer is still acting "weird". If it continues, take it to Apple with the original RAM. No need to give them an excuse to turn your machine away even if it is a user serviceable part. Takes all of 2 minutes to do the swap, really no reason not to.

adamsmith100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to switch it back.

The problem is when pressure (even light pressure) is put on the left side of the computer, it crashes. It could be a ram problem, but I doubt it. Also if it matters, when I go to about computer, the serial number says "Unknown". Before my computer was having issues, the computer's serial number would show up as normal.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
Yeah. That doesn't sound like a failing ram issue. Although you never know until you eliminate that possibility; my 15" behaved weird and in a way I didn't think it would when its ram was failing.

Still, whenever I've taken a Mac in for service at an Apple Store I always put in the stock parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.