Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Im_Percynator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
Australia
I'm running Lubuntu 16.04 Remix and I haven't been able to run 3d games. I looked at my system and it is running the rv350 renderer, but I actually need the rv360 renderer. I've looked around but no one seems to have an answer, so I was wondering if anyone in the community knows how to change the OpenGL renderer.
Any help will be accepted,
Cheers

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
I'm running Lubuntu 16.04 Remix and I haven't been able to run 3d games. I looked at my system and it is running the rv350 renderer, but I actually need the rv360 renderer. I've looked around but no one seems to have an answer, so I was wondering if anyone in the community knows how to change the OpenGL renderer.
Any help will be accepted,
Cheers
RV350 is the family of GPU you have, not the version of OpenGL you're using. RV350 is old enough that it probably doesn't support the version of OpenGL your games need, seeing as how it only supports up to OpenGL 2.1.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I don't think it will matter. My 9600 w/128mb ram still only supports opengl 2.0 as well. PowerPC Linux is not known for killer 3d gaming either. Even something as simple as bzflag plays like crap.
matt@powerbook:~$ lspci | grep -E "VGA|Display"
0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV350/M10 [Mobility Radeon 9600 PRO Turbo]

Last edited:
Reactions: sparty411

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
My GPU family is actually RV360/M12. See:https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/mobility-radeon-9550.c1780
My computer even says that when I use the command:
Code:
lspci | grep -E "VGA|Display"
Also I'm trying to run Sauerbraten and PCSX.
Ah, sorry. At any rate, 3D games on PowerPC are more or less broken on any GPU that utilizes an AGP slot, in my personal experience. Technically speaking, Sauerbraten SHOULD work with your GPU, as it only requires OpenGL 2.0.. Not sure what to tell you ??‍♂️. Cube engine games run just fine for me on Debian i686 with my Radeon 9800 Pro.

Im_Percynator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
Australia
Sauerbraten ran on macosx leopard when I had it on my ibook.
rapha@rapha-laptop:~$ lspci | grep -E "VGA|Display"
5f08:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV360/M12 [Mobility Radeon 9550] (rev 80)

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
PowerPC Linux is not OSX. OSX was built by a billion dollar company with 3rd party support. Linux is pretty much a bunch of people in their basement writing or backporting code for free. Apples and oranges. (no pun intended)

Reactions: dextructor

Im_Percynator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
Australia
PowerPC Linux is not OSX. OSX was built by a billion dollar company with 3rd party support. Linux is pretty much a bunch of people in their basement writing or backporting code for free. Apples and oranges. (no pun intended)
I know that, but I was just saying it did run on leopard.

Im_Percynator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2020
Australia
So I was able to generate xorg.conf which allows me to override what chipset it's running, therefore telling it to change renderer. Now I just need to test it out.
Edit: It says it can't detect my graphics card. NOOOOOOO!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.