Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hewhore

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Germany
I recently changed the admin password on an old iMac that I use as my Plex server. Until I did that (an hour ago), all drives connected to it were visible via 'Locations' > 'Network' in the Finder on my Mac mini. I can get in to it via Screen Sharing with the new password, but now when I try to just get it to show as a device, with its drives, in Finder, all I get is 'Not Connected'. I have tried restarting the iMac, to no avail.
Any ideas?

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 15.12.18.png

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 15.16.47.png

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2007
Until I did that (an hour ago), all drives connected to it were visible via 'Locations' > 'Network' in the Finder on my Mac mini.

You are probably talking about "network drives" (= Drives that are connected to another computer/server and shared through SMB or AFP)

These network drives have logins. (username and password)
Did you - by any chance - use the same username and password for the iMac and the network shares?
I am asking, because: When your iMac and the network drive have the same username and password, they connect automatically.

After you changed the iMacs password, this will not work anymore.

Three options come to mind:
1. Change iMac's password back.
2. Change network drive's password to new password of iMac
3. Connect manually in the finder window and save password in keychain.

Last edited:

hewhore

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Germany
Changing the iMac password back to the previous one does mean that the network drive shows up again in the Finder.

I did previously try selecting to save the new password in Keychain without any success.
How do I update a network drive's password?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.