Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuser111888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
Hello ...
I'm very new to Mac...
I had an user on my mac which I changed (just the name of it), then subsequently it led me to change the whole Apple id, so I went on to having a brand new everything after entering some info about birthdays and all that stuff.
After doing all this, I pulled up the terminal and it shows the old username, just like
"OldUserName:~NewUserName$"
So How Can I change this so that the old user disappears and only new stays ?
Thanks in Advance

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
First point: while you may have done this on a MacBook Air, the problem you're posting about is general enough that it should be posted in a more appropriate sub-forum (such as the Mac Basics, Help, and Buying Advice sub-forum).

Second, I think we're going to need to know a bit more about how exactly you changed the name of the user. I can think of some ways to do that, but they're pretty technically involved to do it properly, and it's clear that whatever method you employed left behind some artifacts of the old user name, or more likely didn't really happen at all.

I think I can, however, parse what the Terminal is telling you with this: "OldUserName:~NewUserName$"

The part in front of the colon is what Terminal thinks is the user who is logged in, which suggests that you haven't really changed the name of the user, you've probably changed something else. The part of the string after the colon is what directory is currently active, which suggests that you're in a subdirectory named NewUserName under the home directory (abbreviated with ~) of the true user.

You might want to go into the Users pane of System Preferences and see what users are actually present. I kind of suspect that your old user will be present in the list still; you might see the new user there, too.

Reactions: macuser111888

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Hello ...
I'm very new to Mac...
I had an user on my mac which I changed (just the name of it), then subsequently it led me to change the whole Apple id, so I went on to having a brand new everything after entering some info about birthdays and all that stuff.
After doing all this, I pulled up the terminal and it shows the old username, just like
"OldUserName:~NewUserName$"
So How Can I change this so that the old user disappears and only new stays ?
Thanks in Advance
Actually the "OldUserName" above is probably the name given to the computer.

Follow these instructions to change that.

macuser111888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
Actually the "OldUserName" above is probably the name given to the computer.

Follow these instructions to change that.
That worked !!
You helped me a lot
Thank You user ghanwani

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.