Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TETENAL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2014
Sequoia put a really grainy, out of focus, low resolution desktop picture of some forest behind the login-screen. It's unaffected by the desktop picture for the user. How do I change that?

Last edited:
Reactions: peppolone

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
are you using filevault? anyway, whatever i set my desktop image to shows when i boot up or log in. but on my GF's M2 air, the background is that image as a video: it moves forward. is your image is static?

also, asking for help is usually more productive than ranting (just a thought)...

TETENAL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2014
Yes, I use FileVault. It's the default. The image is static and not moving.

I did ask. Reading the rant is optional.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Yes, I use FileVault. It's the default. The image is static and not moving.

I did ask. Reading the rant is optional.
which mac? and if you change the image, your selected image doesn't show on boot up or login? might be related to FV.

hopefully others will join the thread (as i don't use FV), with suggestions or thoughts.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Yes, I use FileVault.
When the Mac boots it is using the read-only unencrypted SSV (signed system volume) which is the same on all Macs. This has no customisation.

Your login password is required to unlock and mount the read/write part of the boot volume where your wallpaper resides. So you have to login before the background image can change. So everyone has the same background image before login. You can't change it.

Most people find that annoying unless they really like the login picture/graphic. Is is one of the compromises we have to make to get Apple security features.

The only way round this is to break the SSV and, in recovery, mount it R/W and make changes. Not sure if this can work with Apple silicon - maybe only Intel. This is not good practice as it destroys much of the security barrier which Apple has put around macOS. Also makes macOS updates a bit tricky. Don't ask!

I generally only boot my Macs for macOS updates, so that avoids much of the annoyance.

Ps. I understand the image is of some Sequoia trees.

Last edited:
Reactions: TETENAL

TETENAL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2014
I wished Apple chose something more 'neutral' for the login screen when it's not changeable.

TETENAL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2014
OK, looking into this further, it does not appear to be related to FileVault. On another Mac the startup login desktop picture changes with the users' desktop picture. It's an M-series laptop while the Mac that is stuck to the forest picture is an Intel desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.