Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I have been having problems with my 2019 MacBook Pro running Sonoma taking excessively long times to wake up. I've been reading about sleep modes and it appears the laptop is set to go into hibernation mode so when it wakes up it takes time to restore RAM from the system disk (an SSD). I found some articles describing how to change the sleep mode using a terminal command and I would like to change the mode to just plain sleep mode (not hibernation, safe sleep or standby).

One article, however, does not recommend changing sleep mode because if it's incompatible with your Mac it may cause a serious problem for the battery which might require restoring your Mac to factory settings. Would that be the case for my particular machine or could I safely try using plain sleep mode for a while?

Thanks.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I've experimented with plugging the laptop in before putting it to sleep and it wakes up instantly, which is why I was suspecting the hibernation mode as causing the wake up delay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.