Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Hi,

I am having what I think is an issue with my AW 7 (aluminium midnight). With the new puck thing, it charges pretty much quickly until it gets to 80%. From there, it slows down ... to a degree that it won't get to 100% at all, ever ! I tried with an "old" model of puck thing, and it worked very well.

So I went to an Apple Store, got my puck exchanged and... same issue.

I was wondering if this could be some software issue. I already tried to re-install it and a hard reste, no luck.

Considering Apple couldn't give me an answer, I am returning my watch. But since the new one may have the same issue, I thought I would shoot a quick message to get some feedback.

Have a nice day !

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
It’s a setting on the watch to preserve the battery; it is called ‘Optimised Battery Charging’.
You can turn it off on the watch ~ Settings/Battery/Battery Health and untick Optimised Battery Charging.
It will now ignore the 80% rule and carry on charging.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Above 80% is likely not faster than before, because that is pretty much where most devices start to charge much slower to preserve battery life.
Also why Apple only mentions the time it takes to charge up to 80% in their S7 fastcharge marketing

Reactions: haruhiko and JDnLex

m-e

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
It’s a setting on the watch to preserve the battery; it is called ‘Optimised Battery Charging’.
You can turn it off on the watch ~ Settings/Battery/Battery Health and untick Optimised Battery Charging.
It will now ignore the 80% rule and carry on charging.
Yes I thought about it. But it waas charging « usually » with an old charging cable. And my iPhone has the same setting, and if I remove it then put it back on a charger, it would start charging as usual. I waited 2 hours Sunday morning, and it went from 82% to 93% for example.
Above 80% is likely not faster than before, because that is pretty much where most devices start to charge much slower to preserve battery life.
Also why Apple only mentions the time it takes to charge up to 80% in their S7 fastcharge marketing
I don’t know about fast charging over 80%, but getting to a full 100% in less than 2 hours should be possible :)

EDIT : At the Apple Store, they told me this was not a normal behavior by the way and that I was right to ask for a refund, since they did not have the same AW to offer me as a replacement.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
There must be a problem with the watch…
Mine charges from 10% to 100% in about a hour.

Reactions: wills11

m-e

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Yep ! Anyway, I am now waiting for another one to be available. All they had where the red ones. I may upgrade to a stainless steel by the way :)

faiharrylee2007

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2021
My watch is having exactly the same issue (aluminum midnight 41mm). I am waiting for another one to be exchanged at the store...

Tried everything. Un-pair, re-pair. Reset. Change charger/cable. Same issue persists.

I think it might be related to the fast charging mode of the AW 7. For whatever reason, the watch cannot switch back to normal speed charging after 80% (my watch can charge to 81%/83%/87% and refuse to charge further).

m-e

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
My watch is having exactly the same issue (aluminum midnight 41mm). I am waiting for another one to be exchanged at the store...

Tried everything. Un-pair, re-pair. Reset. Change charger/cable. Same issue persists.

I think it might be related to the fast charging mode of the AW 7. For whatever reason, the watch cannot switch back to normal speed charging after 80% (my watch can charge to 81%/83%/87% and refuse to charge further).

Thanks for the feedback. At least I know it was a real issue. Unfortunately, they did not try anything on their side (Apple) to check what is going on.

How is the replacement going to happen ? I was offered to send it back and then wait.. I decided to give it back and try my luck on the Apple Store online instead :)

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
For the original poster. would the watch charge normally on old puck, or is the issue on new and old puck?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.