Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevenme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2017
First, let me say I use the supplied USB-C charger and it works very well. The reason for testing USB-A chargers is simply because they are everywhere, and in a pinch I might need to charge my iPad with one when USB-C is not available.

I've tried several different USB-A type chargers with several different USB-A to USB-C cables and it seems like the iPad Pro 11" 2021 is limiting charging to 1A (5W) based on my measurements (USB analyzer and AC power meter). This equates to 8+ hours for a full charge. I have tried several 2.4 amp USB-A chargers and several USB-A to USB-C cables and adapters all with the same results. All these chargers deliver 2.4 amps when used on my older (lightening connector) iPad and allow full charging in 3-4 hours.

I can't think of a good reason why Apple would limit the charging current of USB-A chargers unless there's an incompatibility between USB-A and USB-C.

kshitijraina

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2019
New Delhi, India
I have the 12 watt apple charger and was thinking of purchasing a USB A to USB C cable to charge my new 12.9 2021 ipp. I have been reading that slow charger doesn't degrade the battery and my new ipad had a battery health of 99% after 5 cycles. So I dont want to degrade it using the 20w charger. Plane to keep it for the next 4 years.

Any suggestion? Do you think I can use the slow charger without causing problem to my ipp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.