Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guido44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
I need a lot of help here. I have the Canon G9.

I'd really like to install CHDK.
I'm NOT a programmer here so, please if you offer help I need step by step instruction THANKS.
dan

I created the root dir file on the SD card.

I've read the instructions several times here:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/G9#Firmware_info and here:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ/Mac#Getting_CHDK_onto_an_SD_Card_on_Mac_OS_X_10.5_.22Leopard.22

I can't seen to open The Archiver download. No idea what to w/ it anyway.

I can't open the "g9-1.00 dat" file ..... ?

I read on the instrution page here: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ/Mac#Getting_CHDK_onto_an_SD_Card_on_Mac_OS_X_10.5_.22Leopard.22

In the terminal window I enter: "cd /Volumes/CANON_DC" (I named it CANON_DC to keep it simple for me)
Lost now I enter

adsl-68-73-116-80:CANON_DC danielfarina$ xattr -d com.apple.quarantine DISKBOOT.BIN PS.FIR
No such file: DISKBOOT.BIN
No such file: PS.FIR
adsl-68-73-116-80:CANON_DC daniel

Help please.

thanks again,

dan

reclusivemonkey

macrumors 6502
I had a nitemare trying to install CHDK on my camera. Apparently its something to do with Mac's not creating bootable disks in the way the camera wants. I gave up TBH, as it just wasn't worth the hassle in the end. There is a forum for the CHDK firmware, try searching on there.

Guido44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Ok, I formatted my card , created a root file: VERS.REQ
I dragged the download to the file.
EDIT: I don't think I unzipped the download or "Unarchived" it. I also dowloaded "The Archiver". i can't get that to unzip either. help please.
when I put the card in my camera and press the menu and display button at the same time it reads:

Canon PowerShot G9
P-ID:315A PAL D

Firmware Ver GM1.00D
NoError
Jan 11 2008 08:05:13 (Yes I know the date is wrong)

Is that it??...Can't be. I don't see any changes when I operate the camera.

Guido44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Ok, I was just told in the forum for CHDK that it doesn't work yet for the G9 camera.

Sounds like s/thing should be coming out soon though.

I try to post here again when it's ready. :)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I always get a bit worried when I read a post like the OP's. I don't like it when non-technical people try to do non-standard stuff like that (I'm not just talking about cameras). The reason I don't like it is it invariably turns into a major headache for the more tech savvy people around them. :D

The main reason I say "I don't like it" is because when people go looking for help, they often "forget to mention" that they've made these rather significant non-standard modifications. As a matter of fact, it's often like pulling teeth just to get the person to admit they've done anything at all on their computer/camera/whatever. It ends up wasting a LOT of time on the part of the people being asked for help. Yes, I am speaking from personal experience.

In the end, it's your camera to do with as you see fit. But (once the G9 is supported by CHDK) if you come looking for help with any camera problem or question - even if you can't possibly see any way the CHDK software could be remotely involved - YOU STILL NEED TO TELL PEOPLE RIGHT OFF THAT YOU'RE REFERRING TO A CAMERA MODIFIED WITH THE CHDK SOFTWARE. Not only will you likely get relevant help faster; but people will generally be much happier with you.

Okay, now excuse me while I go chase some kids off my lawn...

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The camera is not modified. The add-on is loaded from the card if it's there on request.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I too am interested to see if you can get this to work.
I'd like to give it a whirl on my G9 but tried, failed and gave up.

The camera is supposed to revert when battery is pulled so I don't think loading it would harm anything permanently.

Guido44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Well, if I understand it correctly, the camera itself is not altered.

The CHDK software is loaded onto the SD card only.

Use a "non-ChDK" SD card and the camera will operate as before.

dan

Guido44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Well, that's the plan.

I need it for a remote device I purchased called Cam Remote.

I can use Cam remote w/out it, but if I understand correctly, it increases the amount of controll I have over the camera functions several times over.

It's all new to me.

Anybody own a Cam Remote?

dan

Guido44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Hi Guys, (& Girls)

I believe there is a CHDK version available now for the Canon G9!

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/G9

I'm going to try & get things to work from my Mac, but if I can't I'll go to my brother's house to see if I can load it from his Windows computer. :confused:

Give it shot & let me know if anyone here can make it work.

Thx,

dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.