Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2020
Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Hi everyone! I recently purchased MBA 8GB/512GB model and wanted to test some hypotheses on how to prevent/reduce thermal throttling?

I first ran the Cinebench multi-core test and my MBA started getting heat up and I got a score of 6862

Screenshot 2020-11-28 at 9.36.29 PM.png

I then let my MBA to cool down and then used this stand:

1606581262069.png

And then I purchased powerful and cheap USB fan and placed it under the above stand:

1606581318084.png

After cooling, I ran the Cinebench multi-core test again with the fan running and my MBA was slightly hot but nothing like without fan and please find the below score: 7204 and YES WE CAN BEAT THERMAL THROTTLING with some cheap alternatives when you are running demanding tasks and save nearly 20% of your money :)

Screenshot 2020-11-28 at 9.59.05 PM.png

wyrdness

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
You can buy cheap laptop cooling pads that do a similar job. I'd be interested to see any benchmarks to show if they have any significant effect on MBA performance.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
This is funny!

My current 16" MBP and i7 Mini both needed laptop cooling fans to keep them warm (instead of hot) and the fan spinups were noisy!

Now I don't use the fans any more since the M1 Mini just replaced them and I can't even make it run hot or hear the fan anymore...

OP you should consider returning the fanless M1 Air and get an M1 Pro or Mini which have an internal fan.

tiberiu

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
I will probably do a similar thing, will switch my mbook pro to mbook air, and in case of thorttling just use a cooling pad, as anyway will probably thorttle very rare, something like 5% of my usage.
So there's no reason to carry a fan inside the laptop if I use it 5% of the times...

Reactions: KShopper

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Hmmmm, now you've got me thinking. What would a MacBook Pro do for me that an Air couldn't, if I were buying a laptop with the intent of docking it and doubling it as a desktop? Seems like a fan dock might take thermals out of the equation.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Yeah! Let’s but a fanless and silent laptop just to put a noisy fan underneath.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s cool (lol) that you shared that trick here, but I would be more interested if someone, somehow, improved the heat dissipation from the aluminum radiator on the inside.

Sund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2020
Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Yeah! Let’s but a fanless and silent laptop just to put a noisy fan underneath.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s cool (lol) that you shared that trick here, but I would be more interested if someone, somehow, improved the heat dissipation from the aluminum radiator on the inside.
Hi in my case, 98% of the time I don't do heavy intensive work and today was my full day at work, not even once felt slowed using chrome with multiple tabs, lots of hangouts call, Google sheets, excel, Data Studio etc.

Not even once I felt even warm and always it was cold the entire day with my batter starting at 100% and now at still 28% and going.

My old MBA early 2015 model gets heated up quickly and gets slowed down a lot.

When I need some pretty intensive work, which I do at home, I have this USB fan underneath which does the magic :)

Sund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2020
Chennai, Tamil Nadu
This is funny!

My current 16" MBP and i7 Mini both needed laptop cooling fans to keep them warm (instead of hot) and the fan spinups were noisy!

Now I don't use the fans any more since the M1 Mini just replaced them and I can't even make it run hot or hear the fan anymore...

OP you should consider returning the fanless M1 Air and get an M1 Pro or Mini which have an internal fan.
In India, unfortunately, we don't have an option to return or exchange. Only get a replacement of the same model provided it is declared defective by Apple team.

Anyway, my use case is where 98% no heavy heating up level work and throughout the day it was cold only. When required, I have my setup to overcome throttling :)

ChromeCloud

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Italy
It's a cool experiment (pun intended).

But If you think you just solved a problem, then you bought the wrong M1 MacBook.

MK500

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
I think we honestly need a very small fan to avoid throttling. The thermal mass of the heatsink plus case is doing a good job of pulling heat away from the CPU. A slow moving fan would do the rest. So a cooling pad with a large slow fan would be best.

Honestly, though, I'll take the < 15% hit for the silence :)

Reactions: Sydde and KShopper

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
I have to wonder, if the Air under thermal throttle is still more powerful that my current Mac Pro (which I have never managed to max out), then I don't think thermal throttling will be an issue.

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Between the 2 Cinebench score there’s a difference of less than 5%, you really think you will notice this during everyday job?

Reactions: NotTooLate

Sund

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2020
Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Hi everyone! Another update from my end!

The ones who are worried about how the laptop can withstand load with a protective case?

You don't have to worry.

The same multi-core Cinebench test was conducted with fan running and my laptop with protective case as below:

Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 10.18.56 AM.png

Please find below the test results:

Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 10.15.13 AM.png

The results are still the same and under heavy load, still its going strong with not much of a difference.

My post os targeted a few who has bought base config and helping them to realize when needed, this beast can perform :)

Cheers, all!

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I just wonder, if Apple had put the mobo/ssd behind the screen, with only the battery under the keyboard (at risk of having it called a glorified iPad), would it not be able to shed heat more efficiently?

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
I just wonder, if Apple had put the mobo/ssd behind the screen, with only the battery under the keyboard (at risk of having it called a glorified iPad), would it not be able to shed heat more efficiently?
Interesting idea. I wonder if the screen has a higher base operating temperature as opposed to a battery which really only heats up under load.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Well, I just groped the old-ish 42" TV that has been on for several hours and it is really close to ambient temp (which is around 60°F, I think, so lots of space for it to shed into). If the cpu were to sit at the bottom of the screen and sink into the back cover, all its heat would go up the back with minimal impact on the screen itself. There would be much less warm lap issue, more overhead before throttling and, perhaps of great importance to users, much less risk of beverage-bricking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.