Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Hi, I have an opportunity to buy a MBP in either of the two variants (I am getting them for the same price)

1) 2016 MBP with TB base model (2.9Ghz/256GB/8GB) ~ $1750
2) 2017 MBP without TB base model (2.3Ghz/128GB/8GB) ~$1703

My usage:
My current usage will be for browsing, video streaming and occasional documents work. Not into heavy app usage at the moment, but that may change in the future.

Requirements:
I need a notebook that can do the above. I do understand that a much cheaper notebook or an iPad can be sufficient for me but right now this will be replacing my current primary laptop. So need a proper laptop. I would also like if the laptop is portable enough (Just as a personal preference I consider the 2016/17 MBP to be the sweet spot)

Pricing in my country is a little different. All portable laptops here tend to be priced really high. Just to give you an idea:
For the same price I can get a Dell XPS (15-7200U/256GB/8GB/Full HD)

Hence I figured it is better to go with a MBP. This laptop will be with me for at least 5 years. I have no prior experience on Mac OS and would like to try that. Also the simple design and construction appeals to me and hence is a motivation.

If for any reason you feel I should avoid the mac's you can inform me about the same. If possible you can share your experience also, that would help me decide.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I've used macs for the last 7 years and both the MacBook pro's I have bought (13 inch), 1 in 2010 and 1 in 2013 both are still going strong with no issues the 2010 is still on its first battery and the 2013 is still as good as the day I bought it.

I would say go for the 2017, unless you need more than 2 ports, it really won't matter which you get for your usage. I always go for as much SSD size as I can afford because media files can be a killer on space, especially with 4K files.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
I'd recommend the 2016, for the faster CPU and the higher storage space (I'd say for the TB as well, but that's subjective). 128 GB are really tight if you are planning to keep the machine for several years and can't upgrade later.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
2016 for sure. Basically the same speed as the 2017 model, except with more storage, Touch ID, and 4 ports. No brainer in my opinion.

Arav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Thank You for your reply's. Went ahead with the 2016 model.

PS: Found out that the key '8' on the keyboard is making the clicking sound even when the laptop was off. So have to get that checked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.