Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kabun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2016
Hello. I have a late 2013 RMBP. I am in the market to purchase an external display for my photography work. I am leaning towards the Eizo CX241 24", but was also wondering what else is out there. I would like the display size to be 24" and be able to read the wide color gamut (Adobe.) I would like to spend under $1,000 if possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hello. I have a late 2013 RMBP. I am in the market to purchase an external display for my photography work. I am leaning towards the Eizo CX241 24", but was also wondering what else is out there. I would like the display size to be 24" and be able to read the wide color gamut (Adobe.) I would like to spend under $1,000 if possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
The CX241 is end of line. Unless your getting a good deal or buying second hand the replacement is the CG2420.

Eizo are great monitors. The CG2420 has a built in calibration device (the CX only had a sensor) which is another must.
If you have a decent calibration device you could also look at the NEC Spectraview 242, BenQ PG2401, or Eizo CX247 (CG247x denotes a slightly newer model).
On a budget the NEC PA242 or CS2420 are also good.
Whatever you buy remember it will need calibrating regularly.

Reactions: phrehdd

kabun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2016
Hi Apple fanboy. Thanks for your response. The CG2420 is out of budget for me. I didn't realize the CX241 is end of line. Not that that really matters, but Ezio came recommend to me by a friend who works at a local photo store. I've read that Ezio is tops for photo work but they are really expensive. The CX241 is priced at $1,109 at B&H. That I can afford. Just did some quick research on the NEC Spectraview 242 and gets great reviews and is cheaper than the Ezio. The BENQ looks great too. What exactly should I be looking for specs? I am a newbie looking for a good photo monitor. What type of calibration device should I get? I am thinking of getting a spyder 5 pro.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hi Apple fanboy. Thanks for your response. The CG2420 is out of budget for me. I didn't realize the CX241 is end of line. Not that that really matters, but Ezio came recommend to me by a friend who works at a local photo store. I've read that Ezio is tops for photo work but they are really expensive. The CX241 is priced at $1,109 at B&H. That I can afford. Just did some quick research on the NEC Spectraview 242 and gets great reviews and is cheaper than the Ezio. The BENQ looks great too. What exactly should I be looking for specs? I am a newbie looking for a good photo monitor. What type of calibration device should I get? I am thinking of getting a spyder 5 pro.
Eizo is generally considered the best brand.
What your looking for is wide colour gamut, uniformity and hardware calibration.
Just for your information hardware calibration is a monitor with a LUT (look up table). This is accessed with software that come with your monitor. You'll still need a calibration device.
Generally the xrite i1 display Pro gets better reviews than the Spyder 5.
Other things to look for are monitor hoods, warranty length, connectivity etc.
To be honest there isn't a bad choice in what I listed. I have the NEC Spectraview 241 connected to my iMac. I'd be just as happy with the BenQ or Eizo. I just got a really good deal on the NEC through work.

kabun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2016
Eizo is generally considered the best brand.
What your looking for is wide colour gamut, uniformity and hardware calibration.
Just for your information hardware calibration is a monitor with a LUT (look up table). This is accessed with software that come with your monitor. You'll still need a calibration device.
Generally the xrite i1 display Pro gets better reviews than the Spyder 5.
Other things to look for are monitor hoods, warranty length, connectivity etc.
To be honest there isn't a bad choice in what I listed. I have the NEC Spectraview 241 connected to my iMac. I'd be just as happy with the BenQ or Eizo. I just got a really good deal on the NEC through work.

Great to know what to look for. I'll look into the xrite. Thanks for your answers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.