Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilbiscuit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2016
I have a flashed MacPro 2009 (4,1 to 5,1) that is an awesome machine, 12 cores etc etc. I use OSX and Windows regularly.

But with no boot screen, I can't reliably choose a boot disk on startup. I basically have to guess (2 right keys then enter for OSX) but it doesn't always work.

Obviously within OSX I can select the boot disk to reboot into Windows. But once in Windows sometimes I get stuck there (like right now).

Is there any Windows software that will allow the selection of the boot disk? Within Windows I run MacDrive to be able to access the Mac formatted drives. Right now it's seeing the Mac drives as corrupt (I have removed and confirmed by connecting to my MacBook that the drives are fine) so potentially such software wouldn't even work at the moment. But does it exist ?

DearthnVader

Suspended
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
I was think the BootCamp drivers had a app for Windows that allowed you to choose the macOS as a startup disk, from within Windows, but no support for APFS disks, as far as I know.

lilbiscuit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2016
I was think the BootCamp drivers had a app for Windows that allowed you to choose the macOS as a startup disk, from within Windows, but no support for APFS disks, as far as I know.
I didn't use BootCamp to install windows :(

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
If you install the BootCamp drivers and Paragon HFS+ you can use the Boot Camp Control Panel to switch disks. However Paragon HFS+ doesn't work with APFS. Hoping Paragon will come out with Paragon APFS for Windows.

hfs+.PNG

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
If you install the BootCamp drivers and Paragon HFS+ you can use the Boot Camp Control Panel to switch disks. However Paragon HFS+ doesn't work with APFS. Hoping Paragon will come out with Paragon APFS for Windows.

View attachment 736462

Pretty sure Paragon HFS+ is not required to make the bootcamp control panel work.

My free version of Paragon HFS+ doesn’t work with the current Windows 10 creator update. But the bootcamp control panel can still select the 10.13.1 HFS+ boot partition.
[doublepost=1511007381][/doublepost]For High Sierra with APFS, I personally prefer to use BootChamp with SIP disabled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.