Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark_001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2021
I'm gonna buy MacBook Pro but should I wait? MacBook Pro M1 16GB 512GB seems great for me. I'm a high school 12th class student and interested in software development. I believe this MacBook can go 4-year or above life. So, is there an alternative to this MacBook? or should I buy this?

IggyZuk

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2021
As a software engineer, I'd wait for the M1X. It's only around 3 months away now. I would also strongly recommend you go with at least 1TB of storage. From personal experience, 512GB just isn't enough to keep all of the libraries, projects, and builds at the same time. When things are close to the limits the machine tends to slow down badly.

mark_001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2021
As a software engineer, I'd wait for the M1X. It's only around 3 months away now. I would also strongly recommend you go with at least 1TB of storage. From personal experience, 512GB just isn't enough to keep all of the libraries, projects, and builds at the same time. When things are close to the limits the machine tends to slow down badly.
Thanks, I'll consider your thought. But I have a problem, I've no laptop and my school starts early this year. Besides that, I'm a junior developer in software development. So, I'm really stuck.

IggyZuk

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2021
If you're in a hurry and your projects are lightweight, I think MacBook Pro M1 16GB 512GB would be perfect. You could always upgrade to M3X in a few years ;)

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm gonna buy MacBook Pro but should I wait? MacBook Pro M1 16GB 512GB seems great for me. I'm a high school 12th class student and interested in software development. I believe this MacBook can go 4-year or above life. So, is there an alternative to this MacBook? or should I buy this?
I'd either buy now or wait until this rumored redesign happens and then matures. Every first release of a new iteration of MacBook Pro has had issues with it (dating back to the first "MacBook Pro" branded Macs following the start of the PowerPC to Intel transition) that took a while to iron out. If the M1 suits you, then I'd just get it. If you're worried about spending money on something that will soon be replaced; buy one from the Apple Certified Refurbished Mac section of their online store (as those are considerably cheaper and won't necessarily disappear when the model is, itself, discontinued). Otherwise, I'd wait until at least the releases of MacBook Pro that follow this upcoming one at the absolute soonest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.