Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soum91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Can't even open chrome on macOS Sierra due to memory hogging. It freezes whole OS when Chrome is started up then within a second it uses up all the ram. Won't be able to use chrome on macOS 10.12 beta until google pushes any fixes to it.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
Can't even open chrome on macOS Sierra due to memory hogging. It freezes whole OS when Chrome is started up then within a second it uses up all the ram. Won't be able to use chrome on macOS 10.12 beta until google pushes any fixes to it.

I have also found this but it's actually the system's RAM management which is wholly terrible. Chrome Canary is marginally better.

It feels like they've removed RAM caps on apps or something - mine gets so bad it starts writing to disk. I left it once and it wrote 29GB to disk before the system froze up!

soum91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
I have also found this but it's actually the system's RAM management which is wholly terrible. Chrome Canary is marginally better.

It feels like they've removed RAM caps on apps or something - mine gets so bad it starts writing to disk. I left it once and it wrote 29GB to disk before the system froze up!
Yeah, you are right! I have noticed that too. Something is wrong with Sierra's RAM management. Freezing frequently with low memory without any heavy use!
@soum91 did you make the bug report to Apple?
Haven't done that yet. Will file a report asap.

Reactions: grahamperrin

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR

Sounds like something else is wrong. I was using Chrome all day yesterday with no crashing or slowness. I opened it just now, let it sit for 5 minutes. It started at 89mb RAM used, creeped to 92, but nothing dramatic.

krishmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
Sounds like something else is wrong. I was using Chrome all day yesterday with no crashing or slowness. I opened it just now, let it sit for 5 minutes. It started at 89mb RAM used, creeped to 92, but nothing dramatic.

Did you check the memory tab on Activity monitor? As soon I open chrome, I see at least 3 google chrome helper threads consuming at least 600mb, system getting hot, fans running high and swap used goes from 0 to 2 gb and higher. Needless to say, I close it and wait for an update from Google or next beta, as I suspect this beta is the culprit.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Did you check the memory tab on Activity monitor? As soon I open chrome, I see at least 3 google chrome helper threads consuming at least 600mb, system getting hot, fans running high and swap used goes from 0 to 2 gb and higher. Needless to say, I close it and wait for an update from Google or next beta, as I suspect this beta is the culprit.

Yes, that's where I was looking. They're all Chrome add-ins. You'll notice if you force-quit them, things like Ad-Block will crash. I disabled Chrome add-ins for the time being, not surprising that they don't work perfectly yet.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007

solution? use brave or vivaldi
problem: google doesn't give a damn about its app devleopment on mac for the longest time it is a resource hog and so bad that makes your mac fans spin, even withotu extensions, ditch chrome, and also ditch safari too as its development is too slow and it's too buggy

krishmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
solution? use brave or vivaldi
problem: google doesn't give a damn about its app devleopment on mac for the longest time it is a resource hog and so bad that makes your mac fans spin, even withotu extensions, ditch chrome, and also ditch safari too as its development is too slow and it's too buggy
I think you got this wrong.. Chrome was working on el cap with no issues and when we upgraded to Sierra is when we are seeing issues. Apple changed something in font rendering and some other things and that is causing Chrome to choke.

Reactions: soum91

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
It may go beyond Chrome to any Chromium based browser. I tried Brave & Vivaldi today & they do the same thing, freeze up badly & over use resources. Firefox & Safari seem to be the only Browsers working correctly. But as I noted in another thread, Chrome will be fixed in July as I reported it to Google the day of Sierra.

Reactions: soum91
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.