Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
I recently took a trip to Everest base camp. I lugged around this huge Nikon D70 camera to take photos of the stars and things I saw on the way. My friend had her (really good) point and shoot in her shirt pocket. After the trip, what we noticed is that while my shots were on average better, the ease of her taking pictures meant that she took pictures more often and was able to secure a larger total number of really good shots.

Anyone else thinking of using a point and shoot as their real camera?

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Well, I have a D80 and a P&S Olympus camera. Perhaps maybe you just need another set of lens or body. Try selling it and upgrading the DSLR. I love my DSLR to death, I only use my P&S to take with me to parties/restaurants/dinners/etc..., and it takes great photos, but its not something I would rely on with a more professional level.

If you find yourself using your DSLR as more of a digital camera, then yeah, sell it and buy a P&S.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
This is going to sound mean, but we're all thinking it and I'm just going to say it. You probably don't have enough skill to fully utilize the capabilities of a dSLR if your friend got more good photos with a PnS

localghost

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
buy the smallest and lightest prime lens you can get (between 15 and 35mm) and a good strap (i'd recommend this one).

if _you_ still get better pictures with a PnS that's fine. the worst camera is still the one that doesn't leave it's bag ... .

epyfa

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
http://127.0.0.1
This is going to sound mean, but we're all thinking it and I'm just going to say it. You probably don't have enough skill to fully utilize the capabilities of a dSLR if your friend got more good photos with a PnS

He said that his pictures are better quality. He just has less of them.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Sometimes the point of being someplace is "photography". Other times the primary purpose is something else but you take a camera along in case an image comes up.

Point and shoots are good for the second case. But if the primary purpose of being out is photography then take the largest camera you can.

It's good to have both types of camera.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Are you saying that she took more shots in total and therefore got more that were good?

If so, then why were you not taking many shots? Would a better method of carrying the camera help? Perhaps a holster case or a photo backpack with a side-access flap would enable you to reach for the camera more easily and more often.

If, on the other hand, you're saying that you both took about the same number of photos but fewer of yours were good, then you probably need to work on your technique in general.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Just find ways to keep the camera accessible. We all know how annoying it is to reach into your bag each time you see a good shot…

I don't own a point and shoot but wouldn't want to waste the photographic opportunity on a great trip with one. :)

Get a holder and strap for your waist or something and/or buy a cheap used D40 body off eBay.

EDIT: shotty on the Nikon if you chuck it :p

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Try a Blackrapid strap

http://www.blackrapid.com/

This, combined with a lightweight compact prime would mean that you might be better able to have the camera "ready to go" at a moment's notice and get lots of shots

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Point of clarification: When you say Everest base camp, were you walking around or actually climbing? If the latter then I applaud your dedication. I would have opted for the lighter weight/bulk of the PnS in that situation.

Sometimes convenience has to trump quality. Only you can judge which is more important for your own needs and uses. If the weight/bulk of the DSLR means you aren't actually shooting as much, then it may really be a worse option for you than a PnS.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Well, I had a similar experience. I sold my other cameras to buy my D70. Loved it, and it took great pictures during the times that I was able to take it with me. But my "eye opener" was when a bunch of friends and I wanted to go to the amusement park. You can't exactly ride a roller coaster with a D70.

I bought a small Canon Powershot (I've always been partial to those) and keep it as my second camera, so it can fit in my pocket on days where it's not practical to take the SLR.

I think it does make sense to have both the SLR and a decent pocket camera.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Haha, I still remember a guy says he prefers is PnS den his 450D! states that it is better, better image quality and asked why I don't use a PnS...I was frankly shock with what he told me, if its possible, I would just ask him to give me his 450D!

And of course it comes to this in my thinking that is: If a person prefers to use a PnS and is happy with it, why the sudden change to dSLR? Cuz most ppl who upgrades to dSLR is usually those who are unhappy with their PnS. Also must not forget that this person states that his PnS gives better image quality then a dSLR :eek:

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
there are many times when i prefer my lx3 over my 50d.

i've trekked around the everest base camp region, with dslr and prime lens and p&s and frankly, the last thing i want is to be hauling anything more than i have to at those altitudes. after the first day, i stopped hauling the dslr and stuck with the pns.

there are two addages that come to mind. the first, already said is "the worst camera is the one that doesn't come out of the bag" and the second is "if your camera makes your pack too heavy, take less food"

it's a decision i would make each time, travelling for a long time, a lot of walking, desire to be not have a $2000 hunk of metal around my neck in a dodgy backwater at night... in australia i use my dslr a lot more than overseas

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
there are many times when i prefer my lx3 over my 50d.

i've trekked around the everest base camp region, with dslr and prime lens and p&s and frankly, the last thing i want is to be hauling anything more than i have to at those altitudes. after the first day, i stopped hauling the dslr and stuck with the pns.

there are two addages that come to mind. the first, already said is "the worst camera is the one that doesn't come out of the bag" and the second is "if your camera makes your pack too heavy, take less food"

it's a decision i would make each time, travelling for a long time, a lot of walking, desire to be not have a $2000 hunk of metal around my neck in a dodgy backwater at night... in australia i use my dslr a lot more than overseas

You understand where I'm coming from. The Everest example is obviously an extreme case, but it highlights convenience factor of the point and shoot cameras. This convenience factor applies to every event one can go to. Are there certain (many) shots that you can't do with a point and shoot that you can only do with the dslr? Yes. But chances are that you will take a very small point and shoot many more places than your SLR. You'll therefore take more photos and while a smaller percentage will be good shots, you'll get a higher overall total of good shots.

In the case of my Everest trek, I had a super convenient lowerpro fanny-pack type carrying device which was super convenient. I had that on in front and my hiking pack on behind me (no porters for me!). As far as my skill level, I'm not a professional photographer, but I've been shooting with Nikon SLR's for 15 years and my goal in taking the cameras up to everest base camp was to take some astro photos over the base camp. I'll let you decide if I had the nescessairy skill level.

I guess the middle ground between chucking the slr and keeping it would be to have the point and shoot around often and use the slr when I go somewhere for the specific purpose of taking pictures. And this is the point I've been trying to make with this post: if you have point and shoot cameras these days like the panasonic tz7 with 25-300mm zoom lenses, hd video capabilities in stereo, that fit in your shirt pocket, and are capable of taking a very wide range of photos, the point and shoot becomes a much more viable option. Who cares if there is a little chromatic aberration when you blow it up all the way or some slight distortion? It's 12 megapixels! Furthermore, the DSLR's lens elements are made from mass produced molded elements (consumer level quality). The difference is not as large as it used to be.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Wow, that was a shocking reply, well I would say everyone has different opinion, I bring my dSLR around with me all the time, it's very rare I didn't bring my dSLR.

if you have point and shoot cameras these days like the panasonic tz7 with 25-300mm zoom lenses, hd video capabilities in stereo, that fit in your shirt pocket, and are capable of taking a very wide range of photos, the point and shoot becomes a much more viable option. Who cares if there is a little chromatic aberration when you blow it up all the way or some slight distortion? It's 12 megapixels! Furthermore, the DSLR's lens elements are made from mass produced molded elements (consumer level quality). The difference is not as large as it used to be.
Well not actually, a 25-300 as long the zoom is will be very low quality and not to mention damn right slow at the longer end. And actually a PnS with 12 mp is seriously no big deal, why? Cause the sensor size, even if you give me a 12mp PnS, I will take a 6mp D40 any day cause of the sensor size alone. Also I don't get what you mean by dSLR lens elements are made from mass produced molded elements? Are you talking bout the optics or the casing? Cause the last I check, dSLR lenses is made from glass unless you are referring to some lens that I never check before.

And there will always be difference between a dSLR and PnS, there is still a huge difference that will not disappear anytime soon and to me, I rather carry those heavy camera equipments to get the shot I want and enjoy the image quality it produces, rather then just carry a PnS and get low image quality shots.

But you have a point about the everest thing, but hey, how many time will a person climb everest in a year :)

I am with that both the PnS and dSLR has their places and some people will only bring the dSLR, it depends on the person there isn't any this is better or not (of course this is true as long as the fact is true, you can't just say PnS produces better image quality then dSLR, that's just crazy), when there is something good about it there is bound to be something bad about it. Some people will never bring their DSLR when at the mall cause of the bulk while some just do and don't care about how huge their dSLR is.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Or you can just have both… Sigma DP1 :D

Attachments

• sigma_dp1_fr.jpg
    sigma_dp1_fr.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 71

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
An slr is not the right camera for everyone -- and I mean that independently of skills. P&S are the better choice for quite a few and there is no need to force yourself to use a camera you find too complex/heavy/whatnot.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
If you keep the camera around your neck, you can easily shoot more, better pictures with a DSLR.

DSLR's are in a picture-taking state quicker than any P&S. Set your camera to the green "AUTO" mode if you don't have time to be more creative with your shots. The only time to use the PSAM modes is if you do have time to be creative.

A lot of DSLR users use the manual modes because they think they've got to be more hands-on since they're using a pro camera. Not so. Sometimes you just care about capturing the moment/memory, and in that case, auto modes are fine. All manual modes do is give you more creative control.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
My 5DII w/ Grip and 16-35 II is my point and shoot :)

Really I take it everywhere. The only time I carry an actual point and shoot (my Canon SD600) is somewhere that I may not want to risk my DSLR (like a concert where they dont want you taking photos for whatever reason)

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Or you can just have both… Sigma DP1
Hmm, I thought there is now the DP2? Yup, except I wonder, why Sigma choose to make it use a fixed focal length if I'm not mistaken that is, and I heard reviews bout DP2 isn't all that promising :(

That's a nice lens you got there chrono ;)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Sometimes the point of being someplace is "photography". Other times the primary purpose is something else but you take a camera along in case an image comes up.

Point and shoots are good for the second case. But if the primary purpose of being out is photography then take the largest camera you can.

It's good to have both types of camera.

+1 perfectly said.

i carry my dslr whenever I know for sure i'm taking pictures, but when i'm out and just in case, I bring my P&S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.