Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheWorstBaptist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2020
Im looking for opinion on a new Macbook Pro. I am moving to a position in which Ill be producing videos (fairly simple ones) for announcements and random things, not cinema-like productions. In fact everything Im doing right now is iMovie HD on a 2013 Pro, and I doubt I would ever learn FinalCut. I will also be using it for streaming services live, but thats less important. So my question....are these spec sufficient for creating movies and graphics? Its a stock model with no "upgrades". I honestly don't know anything about the processors and why they matter? I get storage though (I will be storing all files on an external drive).

Thanks for any opinions.

13‑inch MacBook Pro
  • 2.0GHz quad-core 10th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
  • 13-inch Retina display with True Tone
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics
  • 16GB 3733MHz LPDDR4X memory
  • 512GB SSD storage
  • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • Backlit Magic Keyboard - US English

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Im looking for opinion on a new Macbook Pro. I am moving to a position in which Ill be producing videos (fairly simple ones) for announcements and random things, not cinema-like productions. In fact everything Im doing right now is iMovie HD on a 2013 Pro, and I doubt I would ever learn FinalCut. I will also be using it for streaming services live, but thats less important. So my question....are these spec sufficient for creating movies and graphics? Its a stock model with no "upgrades". I honestly don't know anything about the processors and why they matter? I get storage though (I will be storing all files on an external drive).

Thanks for any opinions.

13‑inch MacBook Pro
  • 2.0GHz quad-core 10th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
  • 13-inch Retina display with True Tone
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics
  • 16GB 3733MHz LPDDR4X memory
  • 512GB SSD storage
  • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • Backlit Magic Keyboard - US English

I do similar work for my church ... with the addition of editing some longer videos of services, and other events... I am currently doing the job in Final Cut Pro X. The machine that I use is a 2018 Mac Mini with a 3.0 GHz 6-core Core i5 processor with 16 GB RAM and a 1TB SSD. It does the job really well, with no problem... I suspect that the machine that you are asking about will do the job.

The processor specs are important - they determine how fast (or slow) a process can be completed... again, the machine that you are proposing should handle the work you describe without straining. The 512 GB SSD could be a bit tight, as video processing/rendering, etc can create some large work files... but a fast external SSD will also help in that regard.

As far as streaming goes, we stream using a BlackMagic Design ATEM switcher that outputs to a syndications service to feed YouTube Events and Facebook Live, so our Mini setup does not factor into our streaming solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

TheWorstBaptist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2020
I do similar work for my church ... with the addition of editing some longer videos of services, and other events... I am currently doing the job in Final Cut Pro X. The machine that I use is an 2018 Mac Mini with a 3.0 GHz 6-core Core i5 processor with 16 GB RAM and a 1TB SSD. It does the job really well, with no problem... I suspect that the machine that you are asking about will do the job.

The processor specs are important - they determine how fast (or slow) a process can be completed... again, the machine that you are proposing should handle the work you describe without straining. The 512 GB SSD could be a bit tight, as video processing/rendering, etc can create some large work files... but a fast external SSD will also help in that regard.

As far as streaming goes, we stream using a BlackMagic Design ATEM switcher that outputs to a syndications service to feed YouTube Events and Facebook Live, so our Mini setup does not factor into our streaming solution.

Thank you very much. I may bump up the storage just to be safe.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I don’t do the streaming, but I do the editing. You want at least 1tb to grow into, I’d think. I splurged and got the 2019 16” MBP, and I’ve been very happy with it.

Reactions: TheWorstBaptist

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
It's worth pointing out that many YouTubers have been shooting, editing, and publishing 4K video from their phones for years.

For mundane, short form clips, I figure a $500 Windows notebook running freeware Shotcut will be more than enough. No reason to pay for a $2000 notebook computer. Or your phone.

And if you were watching today's announcement from Apple, the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max will shoot/edit/publish Dolby Vision HDR (at 4K@60Hz).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.