Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itsover900

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Hi,

I'd like to buy a 27inch screen and have been looking at the thunderbolt. I check the resolution and it seems to be very similar to the 27inch cinema display.

With the 24inch and 27inch cinema displays costing less. I'm wondering if it would be better to buy two of those instead. Better value for money.

What do people think?

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
The thunderbolt screen gives you a network port and a firewire port over the cinema screen.
thunderbolt_2x.jpg

There are other brands if you just want a screen, even some with speakers and a USB hub. The reason I mention this is that the cinema screen is from 2011 might be dimmer than a new screen.

Itsover900

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks man. Really useful.

I've got a late 2013 MBP 13inch. How would I connect this to 2 x 27 inch Cinema displays?

According to Apple, both displays have the same contract ratio and brightest. Would the cinema display be dimmer?

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
You have 2x Thunderbolt ports on the 2013. They are functionally mini-DisplayPort. Simply get a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable for each screen, or get 2x mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapters and then you can use a regular DisplayPort cable.

One feature of Thunderbolt devices is chaining, where you connect one screen to your Mac and the second screen connects to the first one. If you have a bunch of stuff connected to the screens you essentially just need one cable.

Itsover900

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks.

I'm surprised that the Cinema displays have held their value. I thought about getting two smaller screens, or a cheaper 27 inch cinema ... but it jus doesn't seem worth it.

I'll get a 27 inch TB. Man it would be nice if they did a 24 inch TB with a higher res and PPI.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Dell has a 4K 24 inch model, but the 2013 cannot run it at 60 Hz. It only does 30 Hz officially and up to 50 Hz with a tweak. You need something newer.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Apple displays are way overpriced and out of date to say the least, buy something else would be my reccomendation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.