Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Hey all,
I have a MBP M1 Max 16”. It weighs over 2kgs and I lug it in a backpack to work (bike + commuter train + bike).

Considering iPP 13”.
Setup at work desk:
Hardware: 27” Philips external display with USB-C cable.
Software: stage manager on iPadOS using the 27” as a separate (extended) display

Questions:
#1 I connect to my company servers via Citrix client. Anyone have experience with this?

#2 company uses MS Teams for meetings. Anyone experience?

#3 while in a MS Teams meeting, would I be able to use the iPP as a drawing/sketch board and share that app to the people that joined the meeting?

Thanks!

Reverend Benny

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
MS teams work good on both iPhone and iPad, you can share the iPads screen but as far as I know (long ago since I tried, might have changed) you can only share the iPad screen, not the secondary screen.

Don't know how well the Citrix client works.

Reactions: OSXphoto

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
MS teams work good on both iPhone and iPad, you can share the iPads screen but as far as I know (long ago since I tried, might have changed) you can only share the iPad screen, not the secondary screen.

Don't know how well the Citrix client works.
Thanks for helping out! The macOS / windows version of Teams lets me share an individual app window (like only share Word or safari) OR the screen (primary or secondary). Will the iPadOS Teams only share a screen?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Thanks for helping out! The macOS / windows version of Teams lets me share an individual app window (like only share Word or safari) OR the screen (primary or secondary). Will the iPadOS Teams only share a screen?
As far as I remember when testing it I could only share the iPad screen, not like on the PC where you can choose what screen to share if you have two of them.
But things might have changed, this was more than 6 months ago and it might have been with iPadOS 16.

Edit:

One solution could be to use Citrix and MSTeams within Citrix. Now, to get that to work properly and with decent performance its a good thing to talk to the Citrix admin at work. There are tweaks to get MS Teams to run decent in a Citrix environment. Not sure how the combo Citrix on iPad and MSTeams will work tho or how resource heavy it will be.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion. Alas, even using PC or Mac , teams within Citrix is a no go, discouraged by our IT admin.

I suppose I should just order the iPad model I want and simply try it out. If it doesn’t work the way I wish I can return within 14 days, although returning goods is not something I usually do or think lightly about.

The thing is I would order the 13” model just for Citrix and teams work. For most or all other uses I have for it, the 11” is a better fit. So I am trying to get as much information as I can before ordering.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Thanks for the suggestion. Alas, even using PC or Mac , teams within Citrix is a no go, discouraged by our IT admin.

I suppose I should just order the iPad model I want and simply try it out. If it doesn’t work the way I wish I can return within 14 days, although returning goods is not something I usually do or think lightly about.

The thing is I would order the 13” model just for Citrix and teams work. For most or all other uses I have for it, the 11” is a better fit. So I am trying to get as much information as I can before ordering.
Its sounds like fun test to do, do share the outcome.

My recommendation (without having tested) would prob be to use a proper client like a PC or Mac for these to apps, especially if you are going to use more screens than the built in one.
But I guess it also depends on what you are doing with Citrix, is it going to be a virtual PC you logon to and lots of mouse movement, and so on. Will you have more than one Citrix client running?
Are there any other apps that are more "oldschool" and more suitable for a PC?

Could one option be to to get a smaller mac, like the macbook air 13?
By the time you have added a keyboard (magic keyboard) to your iPad 13" it will weigh the same as a Macbook air 13.

Macbook air = 1,24 kg

Ipad 13 pro + magic keyboard 582 grams + 662grams = 1,24 kg

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Right. Valid points. Weight example is insightful. Thanks.

Sorry for the long post.

FTR I would not get the MKB. Too bulky and too expensive. The whole point is to travel light. I would use peripherals already available at the office.

Actually I also do own an older 2013 MBP that could do the Citrix desk work at my company’s site. MS teams it does ok-ish, I get the occasional fan blast but otherwise doable.
So I don’t really need to buy a second MacBook just for work. Would feel silly if I already own two MacBooks.

However, being able to travel very light *and* bring a “do-it-all” iPad wherever I go is calling my name. Beguiling even so to speak.

This all started a year ago when my 2015 iPad Air 2 finally got to a point where I found it too slow. This happened when I was starting to pick up the iPad more and more and my phone less and less. Mail, safari, Lightroom mobile, movies, streaming audio to audiophile headphones and hifi set, and more.

So I went to Apple.com to see what’s available. First bet back then (year ago) was a 2023 new 11” iPad Air. But then I learned about the rumours re M4 iPP so I waited.
Now that the M4’s are out there’s also the 13” option. I know there had been 12.9” M1 models but I never considered those for their large size and cost.

Next I started to think fresh (or out of the box) and suddenly I saw myself travelling with one super fast do it all (or at least do it all mobile stuff) light weight. On the train, in my backpack, on the bike, on holidays in my mobile home. I was pretty much sold on the M4 11” but I kept thinking about the 13”, mainly for Lightroom mobile. Then it dawned on me that I might even be able to use the iPP for desk work at my company office. So I went looking for information on how that could work out. Stage manager looks promising, especially iPadOS 18 where we can drag windows from iPad display to external display and back.

I suddenly realised that I am quite accustomed to macOS when it comes to connectivity, external displays, moving windows around and having multiple instances of app windows. The iPadOS before stage manager was very poor at that and iPadOS 18 offers the minimum functionality I want to have.

But if I could get the iPad to work with Citrix and ms teams the way I want I really see a perfect fit for my use cases.

If I could draw on the iPad and share the drawing app in ms teams would be the icing on the cake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.