Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark-vdw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
I've been searching the forums and the web for a clear answer to this but am finding contradictory results. When going from El Cap to Sierra, are existing facetags (1) completely lost, (2) preserved but separate from the People functionality, (3) merged into People?

I'm not so worried about the shots where faces are clearly recognisable, I'm sure the new algorithm will do fine with those, but I spent hundreds of hours tagging 30k photos, including people with their backs to the cam, etc. Would hate to loose all of that.

mopatops

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
UK
Yep, number 3. I was in a similar situation to you and have had no problems with it retaining everyone that I tagged manually

Reactions: mark-vdw

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
My Sierra install is still "processing" photos in the People area, a function that appears to be very graphics card intensive. However, names and faces that I had previously labeled in El Capitan appear to still be here so far. For you, I would make sure to create a backup of your photo library just in case.

I'm curious if they will sync between macOS and iOS now.

Reactions: mark-vdw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.