Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sndcj1

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Chicago
Forgive my ignorance, but does anybody understand the relationship between the new class speed ratings and the old 10x 40x 133x ratings? I was looking at a class 4 SDHC card (minimum 4MB transfer) and right next to it, there was a 133x card (20 MB sustained), and couldn't tell if these were comparable cards, or not. I realize 20 is bigger than 4, but as sustained doesn't necessarily mean it will give you a minimum of 4MB, and 4MB minimum doesn't imply less than 20MB sustained, does anyone have real world experience with this?

Thanks

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
i don't know exactly, but doesn't 'sustained 20MB/sec' mean that the card is speced to transfer at a minimum of 20MB/sec?

sndcj1

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Chicago
Well, the odd thing is the new spec only has 3 speeds as of now, class 2, 4, and 6. I guess I don't quite understand why they would have a spec class for essentially a 13x card. I have seen class 2 devices, but the slowest card I can find these days is 40x. It seems as though there is something stricter about the spec, but I can't seem to find anything that compares a class 2 to a 40x card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.