Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dataharvested

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2022
First off, I want to say that I'm glad to be back here on the forums. Thank you to the admin who reactivated my account. It's been two years since I started my original CMP journey, documented here on the forums of course. I sold that computer shortly after my modifications because I was fed up with the ongoing gaming issues and decided to build a dedicated Windows gaming PC. But here I am, with the CMP itch once again.

I recently acquired 2 classic Apple Mac Pro computers, both 5,1 models. They were purchased from separate auctions online and unfortunately both of them sustained damage during shipping as they were not packaged properly.

Both of the computers arrived fully functional however, the damage was luckily only to the aluminum cases. The first of the two to arrive had significant damage to the aluminum structure of the case, where separation had occurred between the chassis and outer "skin" layer. I deemed this damage irreparable after some research online. The second CMP (pictured) only had damage to the left side rear upper and lower corners. A subtle bending and "shine" where the impact occurred was evident on the aluminum. The second CMP also was listed as not having its optical drive, but arrived missing the optical drive carrier caddy as well. I have pending claims for the damage on both computers with the sellers.

Moving on.

I took the best components and moved them into the better of the two cases. I moved the optical drive carrier caddy with the Apple SuperDrive, CPU tray with dual Xeon 6-Core processors, and 16 GB of RAM. I added an existing 256 GB SSD that I had for macOS and added two 10 TB 3.5” hard disk drives for storage in a RAID configuration.

Current Specifications:

- Dual Intel Xeon 6-Core 2.66 GHz Processors
- 64 GB DDR3 RAM
- ATI Radeon HD 5870 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
- TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 256 GB 2.5” SSD (macOS)
- 2 Seagate Barracuda Pro 10 TB 3.5" Hard Disk Drives (RAID 1)
- macOS High Sierra

My current plans are to utilize it as a home media server, local data backup, security camera media storage, and a personal Minecraft server. The second Mac Pro is essentially a parts unit at this point, at least until I find another intact case for it.

IMG_2288.JPG

Reactions: bmoraski

dataharvested

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2022
I just ordered some upgrades.

- LG Blu-ray Rewriter Super Multi Blue WH16NS40
- Dual Intel Xeon X5690 3.46 GHz 6-core Processors

dataharvested

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2022
Today I was pondering updating to macOS Mojave on my Mac Pro build. I had recently bought a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti for a retro PC build (Windows XP), but ended up using another graphics card. The Definitive Classic Mac Pro Upgrade Guide stated that the GTX 650 Ti may support Metal. So, out with the ATI Radeon HD 5870 and in with the GTX 650 Ti. It does indeed support Metal and I used the Mojave installer from the Mac App Store upgrade the Boot ROM Version to 144.0.0.0.0. I then installed macOS Mojave in its entirety and it's currently running the 10.14.6 version.

Losing the boot selection and initial startup screens is not a big deal to me at this time. The computer is functioning as a server with a single operating system, so I should be good running it as-is. That is, until another upgrade bug hits me.

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.