Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I'm by no means a camera buff, but I’m looking to get a 'prosumer' camera to help take some better images. It doesn’t have to be pocketable, since I carry my satchel around with me most of the time anyway, so I was looking at the micro four thirds offerings from Olympus and Panasonic, namely the EP1 and the GF1. I'm sure this debate has ravaged on many times before, so I apologise for treading old ground. I have a budget of ~£600 and would use it mostly for architectural images, landscapes and a few casual snaps of friends.

Now i should also explain that I’m horribly superficial and only leaned toward a micro four thirds since i saw Olympus' awesome concept But my friend took a few shots of me with his Pentax something-or-other a while ago and I was amazed by the depth and quality of a dslr over my crappy point and shoot. I also perhaps feel a full dslr would be a bit too bulky for me, and for the casual shots I might take with my camera, they can be a bit intimidating to the subject.

All that said, what do you think, EP1 or GF1 or something totally different? Any left-field suggestions are more than welcome, but bear in mind my budget and shallow nature :p

First tee

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
Micro 4/3

I have a GF1 and love it.

My suggestion is that you should spend some time looking through the micro 4/3 forum at dpreview. I think you will learn a lot about what people like and don't like.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
What do you currently have, and what do you like/not like about it?

In a nutshell, the GF1 is more responsive (better autofocus => less shutter lag) and has a built-in flash, but has no built-in image stabilization, while the E-P1 is slower and has no built-in flash, but has built-in image stabilization. You'd probably want to go with the one with a flash (the upcoming E-PL1, a smaller version of the E-P1, will have a flash built in). I'd personally go with the GF1 for its looks (shallow!) and the above-mentioned features. I like the second control dial on the E-P1 (the E-PL1 won't have it), but that shouldn't matter as much to someone coming from point-and-shoots.

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I'm by no means a camera buff, but I’m looking to get a 'prosumer' camera to help take some better images. It doesn’t have to be pocketable, since I carry my satchel around with me most of the time anyway, so I was looking at the micro four thirds offerings from Olympus and Panasonic, namely the EP1 and the GF1. I'm sure this debate has ravaged on many times before, so I apologise for treading old ground. I have a budget of ~£600 and would use it mostly for architectural images, landscapes and a few casual snaps of friends.

Now i should also explain that I’m horribly superficial and only leaned toward a micro four thirds since i saw Olympus' awesome concept But my friend took a few shots of me with his Pentax something-or-other a while ago and I was amazed by the depth and quality of a dslr over my crappy point and shoot. I also perhaps feel a full dslr would be a bit too bulky for me, and for the casual shots I might take with my camera, they can be a bit intimidating to the subject.

All that said, what do you think, EP1 or GF1 or something totally different? Any left-field suggestions are more than welcome, but bear in mind my budget and shallow nature :p

I have GF1 with 20mm lens, its really good. I had the same dilemma as you
apparently reviews suggest the PEN is much slower with focusing.

My devianart has some example shots see sig.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
as El Cabong said, it's basically a choice between image stabilization or faster AF. coming from a point-&-shoot, the E-P1 AF is probably still an improvement, but the GF1 is much closer to SLR-quick AF...with certain lenses. Panasonic developed the technology for faster AF in a mirrorless camera, but I dunno if they'll be sharing it with other manufacturers.

another thing to consider is Jpeg processing (I'm assuming you will shoot Jpeg coming from a P&S). the Olympus reputedly has better-looking Jpegs.

DPReview has a comparison between the two in the GF1 review, I think. try looking there.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 28, 2003
UK
excellent help chaps, most people in this and other threads do seem to be leaning toward the GF1, ill give DPReview a trawl and a lurk as some of you have suggested, although i read somewhere that Panasonic might be announcing something mid march and Sony just unveiled some concept micro four thirds the other day, i might hold out for a month or so, to see if anything new reveals.

Ah yes, El Cabong, i saw the reveal for the E-PL1 the other day and although it adds a flip-up flash like the GF1, it feels a bit like the EP1s special brother.

Of note, my P&S is so old and nasty, I'm rather too embarrassed to mention it. Suffice to say either of them will feel like black magic compared to it.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Update:

I got the GF1 with the 14-45 mm lens, since i think for what i'm going to do with it, its a bit more versatile. £550 plus a £50 rebate which ill have to send off soon. I'm very happy with it so far, learning how it works - now ill have to find something to take a picture of!

Coming from a P&S, the shots seem lightning fast!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.