Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shiva.n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2020
Hi all, I need help here. I've got a mac pro 2010. I currently have Mojave running on it. I recently upgraded to a nvme ssd drive and its really quick. Im having some issues with my audio production softwares and really want to do a clean install. I cloned my old drive to the nvme, and that works but I rather do a clean install and begin with my production softwares.

Things to note,
I have no boot screen as I'm using a radeon rx 580 4gb.(non-flashed)
I have a bootable usb with High sierra
when i hold option and boot i get nothing.

I put my original card back in and got boot screen, then i formatted my nvme and went to install OS X, and it was giving me mojave which then says hardware not supported (the old gpu)

so how would I go about doing this clean install on my nvme ssd?

Vudor0817

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2021
You can't use the old GPU beacause the original Mac Pro 2010 is non-Metal.
Mojave only supports Metal-Gpu's.
So put back the other GPU and try this:

Start your Mac and when you here the startup sound press the keys OPTION + COMMAND + R until you see a spinning globe.

Wait for it to start and eventualy it will come into internet recovery.

Reinstall MacOS from there (It'll take longer).

And you're good to go.

Please reply if this worked.

PS: Sorry for the late reply...

shiva.n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2020
You can't use the old GPU beacause the original Mac Pro 2010 is non-Metal.
Mojave only supports Metal-Gpu's.
So put back the other GPU and try this:

Start your Mac and when you here the startup sound press the keys OPTION + COMMAND + R until you see a spinning globe.

Wait for it to start and eventualy it will come into internet recovery.

Reinstall MacOS from there (It'll take longer).

And you're good to go.

Please reply if this worked.

PS: Sorry for the late reply...
Hey thanks for the reply.
I just put the rx 580 back in and I held option command r on boot sound and all I get is a black screen.
My gpu card is not flashed.
Any ideas?

shiva.n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2020
I just removed all other drives and did a nvram clear . it booted. which is better news. but I still wanna do a clean install. when I try option, cmd, r now it just boots normal in macOS

shiva.n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2020
command +R worked. I click istall Mac OS. seems to be working. it said its installing Mojave. how long does this process take? it said 17 mins. then went to apple logo and its saying 30 mins. I don't mind the wait at all. I think what I'm concerned about is if everything is going as it should...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.