Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macleod92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2019
I'm trying to do a clean install of macOS Mojave on my 2012 13" MacBook Pro using a bootable USB. I'm doing it on a new 1 TB SSD that I've installed after my last one died.

The problem I'm having is that ever time I run the installer, everything looks like it's working, but then towards the end of the installation, the computer restarts and ultimately returns to the macOS Utilities menu.

I've tried formatting the hard drive several times and have even tried installing OS X Mountain Lion via an Internet recovery.

I have also tried reconnecting the drive and re-attempting installation (via thumbdrive) and it just returns back to the macOS Utilities menu again. Also tried connecting the SSD to another computer (via a caddy) and it was recognised immediately as a APFS formatted drive containing OS X install files..... Any thoughts?

I'm struggling to find a solution to this, so would really appreciate some help.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It sounds like maybe the internal drive cable is bad. Were you having symptoms with the old drive sort of like when a drive is starting to fail?

Do have an external USB SATA enclosure you can put the drive in to try and install that way. It won't fix the problem, but if that works, then you can be pretty sure that internal cable is bad.

Reactions: macleod92

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
It sounds like maybe the internal drive cable is bad.

+1, the 2012 MacBook Pro was notorious for that. Of the 15 we had at work, around 50% had a failed drive cable in the 4 years we had them. A few failed multiple times. Personally, I'd replace that cable first and ask questions later.

It may help to wrap a little electrical tape around the spot where the cable goes around the corner of the optical drive; seems like that's where it gets worn out.

macleod92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2019
Thanks to both of you. I can confirm that the cable was the issue. I've replaced it and everything is working perfectly now.

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: DJLC and Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.