Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gebulo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
Long story short, I tried to clean install. Activated erase the Macintosh HD, but it never finished due to forced shut down. (Please don't ask, idiot in family decided it was taking too long...). Opening Mac again in CMD+R, Macintosh HD was not inaccessible. I tried to recover what I could, but it was gone. Somehow I managed to change it into Apple Disk Image I think - one of the four "disks" that appears when entering CMD+R and going to Disk Utility. (Now I had two Apple Disk Images or whatever its exact name was) So that was not right way, I partitioned APPLE HDD and made new Macintosh HD, but that seemed to be empty.

Now I decided it was safest to just call a technician and had him install El Capitan back on and not let anyone else meddle with it.

So my question is as follows: does this sound like clean install was done? If there was (doubt it, but just in case) malware or trojan installed, was it wiped out and system is now clean?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So my question is as follows: does this sound like clean install was done?

Yes... if you erased Macintosh HD and then reinstalled the OS, you have a clean install. You would be able to tell for certain if you were prompted at the first start to make a new account in the setup manager.

Reactions: Gebulo

Gebulo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
Yes... if you erased Macintosh HD and then reinstalled the OS, you have a clean install. You would be able to tell for certain if you were prompted at the first start to make a new account in the setup manager.

Setup manager, where it asks me my location/time zone (click on the world map), assign username & password and those things? Those were there. The interrupted Macintosh HD erasing process was what made me worried (Seriously, what kind of retard forces Mac to shut down just because erasing process didn't look like it was moving forward... I activated it only few minutes beforehand. Last time I trust someone else to handle my Mac...), but if setup manager means it was starting from nothing, then it's okay. No files personal files where on, none of my old specific apps where either there.

If that means it was clean and nothing from old could survive, then I can take good calming breath. At least this thing is cleared up.
Thank you, Weaselboy!

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.