Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I am managing multiple Discord accounts that I would like to have open at the same time. I know that Discord has been supporting account switching for a while now, but it a bit clunky and slow.

What is the simplest and most robust way of having multiple instances of Discord open at the same time, each with a different account?

Different browsers? Or is there a way to run multiple instances of the app without running into any problems down the line?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Have you tried simply duplicating the Discord app in your Applications folder and naming them Discord1.app and Discord2.app (then logging in to the different accounts in the separate apps)?

This works for a lot of apps.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Have you tried simply duplicating the Discord app in your Applications folder and naming them Discord1.app and Discord2.app (then logging in to the different accounts in the separate apps)?

This works for a lot of apps.
I have not. Mostly because I thought that would lead to problems with preferences and such. I was afraid to corrupt anything.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Macs don’t generally support multiple instances very well. I too would be concerned about your preference issue. You could consider running another copy in a virtual MacOS.

Reactions: jdb8167

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Macs don’t generally support multiple instances very well. I too would be concerned about your preference issue. You could consider running another copy in a virtual MacOS.
I've never done that. Do you have any tips / resources regarding that?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Different browsers? Or is there a way to run multiple instances of the app without running into any problems down the line?

Sorry to admit that I know absolutely nothing about discord. Is it a website/web app, as your post suggests? If so, then different browsers should work. Each browser has its own storage, so there wouldn't be any issues with the preferences or other data that it stores.

Otherwise, a virtual machine would work. If you're using an Intel Mac, you could use a MacOS VM.

Reactions: danqi

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I am managing multiple Discord accounts that I would like to have open at the same time. I know that Discord has been supporting account switching for a while now, but it a bit clunky and slow.

What is the simplest and most robust way of having multiple instances of Discord open at the same time, each with a different account?

Try using Terminal to open a second instance.

open -n /Applications/appname.app

Attachments

• 1681062282879.png
    1681062282879.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 73

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Try using Terminal to open a second instance.

open -n /Applications/appname.app
While open -n could open a new instance of the app, I imagine they will have shared settings. I doubt two instances will be able to generate and use separate cookies for authentication.
Probably the only viable option is to use multiple browsers.

danqi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
Thanks for the info everybody! I will look into setting up a VM as I prefer the desktop app to the browser. But that also might be overkill and using multiple browsers might be the more reasonable approach.

Reactions: Boyd01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.