Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

covertheflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2021
Hey there!

So, 2 weeks ago I bought the iPhone 11 Pro and everything was fine with it until one week or so.

Because I had at my home one of these notch cut-out screen protectors already bought I used it for the screen of my new phone. For whatever the reason the screen would attract a lot of dust and one of these days a speck of dust got stuck into the earpiece grill crevice. (And of course as it usually happens with these things the more you try to get the speck out or clean it, the dirtier and messier it gets).

The earpiece grill was already looking kinda weird for a brand new phone and I was trying to live with it although I have huge OCD. The first thing I thought of was buying one of these full cover protectors that come with a earpiece mesh filter (So it would cover the mess I made in the best of the cases). So I got one from Aliexpress and it has yet to arrive. But yesterday another speck of dust got into the crevice and as I tried to get it out I by accident made the dirt even more visible through the crevice (A very visible white line between the crevice and the bottom of the grill) and to my judgement the whole earpiece looks very bad for a fairly new phone now).

Trying to further clean it I used a clean/non used before toothbrush and it did nothing. Neither did the microfiber cloth I use to clean my pair of glasses. So I went for one of these eyebrows pencils that have little brush bristles in the cap. (I had already cut them short with a scissor before so it would reach better the earpiece of my old iP7+.) While trying to use it, a tiny bit of one of these bristles got stuck at the top the crevice and now I cannot get it out either so the issue got worse.

I tried using a toothbrush, the eyebrows pencil bristles, cutting a piece out of the Apple stickers paper (As someone suggested on some other thread I read here), using a microfiber cloth with alcohol, Q-Tips with alcohol and cellophane too.

I don't want to try canned air because I think it would damage the speaker itself (And thanks god it sounds crystal clear, and it's 0% damaged internally seems, just ugly on the outside).

Did anyone here who had a bad experience cleaning the speaker like me find a workaround that will get the dirt/lint (and specially get out that tiny bristle piece) out without damaging the earpiece? (Like a particular kind of brush for this things). Also I'm being hopeful about the new protector covering the visual damage I caused so I can stop feeling bad about.

Below I attach two pics of how the earpiece looks under flash light now:

Thanks for reading and your patience with this long post! ??

joggy

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
What you want is something like Blue Tack or Fun Tak. That should get anything like what you're describing out of there safely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.