Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
One cloth for $25? I can get a whole pack of microfibre cloths on Amazon for that.
Sure you can get a pack of cheap microfibre cloths but they won't work the same way.

Is the Apple cloth overpriced? Sure but it is also unique and made specifically for Apple Laptop screens.

I have bought a variety of microfiber cloths and some leave a lot of lint behind. Some work great but any cloth that is of high quality is over $10 and some cost about the same as the Apple Cloth.

Personally when spending as much as I do for Apple products I would rather spend a little more so I don't damage my devices prematurely.

Reactions: onFIRE

abercrombie

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2008
Parent's Basement
Being a car enthusiast and making sure there are no swirls or micro scratches on the paint job, use a vehicle microfiber cloth. I use the same for my expensive sunglasses. You can get a ton at Costco but personally I prefer microfiber towels from Chemical Brothers available of Amazon.

user314159

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2022
$10 Riedel polishing cloth, gigantic, extremely soft, and works amazingly well, for electronics and for $$$ wine glasses. I use with iKlear.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Apple always advise just a a micro fibre cloth, and for marks which won’t budge just slightly dampen the micro fibre cloth.

I have always took this advice with all my apple products and never done any of mine any harm. Just be careful around the ports etc when using it slightly damp.

I don’t bother with distilled water or alcohol wipes or anything like that, even whoosh isn’t listed as officially safe to use, it’s just many employees say that is what was used whilst working in an Apple Store. But if I’m not mistaken they no longer use it.

shinigamii

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
Apple always advise just a a micro fibre cloth, and for marks which won’t budge just slightly dampen the micro fibre cloth.

I have always took this advice with all my apple products and never done any of mine any harm. Just be careful around the ports etc when using it slightly damp.

I don’t bother with distilled water or alcohol wipes or anything like that, even whoosh isn’t listed as officially safe to use, it’s just many employees say that is what was used whilst working in an Apple Store. But if I’m not mistaken they no longer use it.
I used to work in a phone store and for cleaning the screen, a cotton cloth can be dipped in water to wipe the screen clean and a microfiber cloth to dry clean it. This works perfectly!

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
I was skeptical about the Apple Polishing cloth. I went to the Apple Store with a question about my MBA M2. While there the store person cleaned my screen with the Apple Polishing cloth. A couple of wipes, no liquid, and the screen was clean of all smudges. So I purchased a cloth.

My experience with the Apple Polishing cloth is that is does work very well on the keyboard and the screen. Better than any Microfiber cloth that I have tried (I have not tried them all obviously). Yes, the cloth is expensive. It does work, blessed by Apple.

Chrisjmv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2016
How do you do it? Do use any stuff like "Whoosh" - I read on Amazon etc, that it isn't good for that XDR Pro Screen?

I think about ordering the original Apple Microfiber cloth, is it all I need with a bit water on the cloth and just wipe?

How about "bad fingerprint or other smudges" - how do you get off them safely?

onFIRE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
I heard "Whoosh" isn't so good for the MacBook Pro Screens? is that correct?
I use it maybe once a month on my M2 MBA and the screen is fine. I find it more effective than water and the Apple Polishing Cloth.

Reactions: neo_cs193p

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Dec 19, 2009
I have a screen protector and keyboard protector both on m2 macbook air. Leaves the computer pristine for reselling in few years.

Reactions: rmadsen3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.