Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
I love my new M1 and want to take care of it. I keep it really clean but get spots on the screen nonetheless.

I’ve read a lot about the Apple cloth and got one. But as I was just cleaning it and trying to remove a spot, I may have pressed too hard as there was a brief “discoloration”.

I quickly stopped and it went away but I can’t help but wonder if I damaged the screen??

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I use a 1:1 solution of distilled water and isopropyl (rubbing) alcholol (either a 70% or 90% solution - doesn't really matter). Just get yourself a small spray bottle and fill it halfway with distilled water and the other half with rubbing alcohol, that way you have a ready solution on hand. Spray the solution directly onto a microfiber cloth (I only use the kind like this, not the silky smooth kind) and wipe from top to bottom in straight motions with light to medium-light pressure as needed to remove spots. Use a dry area on the cloth in the same motion to ensure the screen is 100% dry before closing the lid or re-waking/starting your computer.

If you've turned your computer back on and notice no issues in the area of the screen you were worried about, then your screen is fine.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
DON'T "over-clean" the screen!

That's the surest way to get "StainGate" (if you don't know what that means, you'd better look it up).

The MacBook Pro's have a VERY THIN "sprayed-on" anti-glare coating. It's just small "particles" sprayed onto the surface.

The WORST THING you can do is to clean the surface of the display "too vigorously" or use too much pressure. The coating will start to wear down and flake off.

You should actually endeavour to clean the display as little as possible.
That means, taking extra care not to "get it dirty" in the first place.

Try using a soft cloth to "dust away" particles on the surface first. NO PRESSURE.

If that won't work, moisten the cloth with water. DON'T use alcohol.
Use as little pressure as possible to dislodge the item.
Then, "dust dry" (as above).

Some users over-clean the screen and as a result seem to end up with StainGate quickly.
Take care, and it will keep looking good a long time.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC

That's the surest way to get "StainGate" (if you don't know what that means, you'd better look it up).

The MacBook Pro's have a VERY THIN "sprayed-on" anti-glare coating. It's just small "particles" sprayed onto the surface.

The WORST THING you can do is to clean the surface of the display "too vigorously" or use too much pressure. The coating will start to wear down and flake off.

Try using a soft cloth to "dust away" particles on the surface first. NO PRESSURE.

Some users over-clean the screen and as a result seem to end up with StainGate quickly.
Geez you just scared the **** out of me ?

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
i use a microfiber cloth, wet it, wring it out completely, and lightly wipe the screen. I would never put any cleaning substances on the screen, for the reason given above regarding the anti-glare coating. This has been discussed in the archives.

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
Thank you all for help with how to clean the screen (I’ve only used the Apple microfiber and cleaned just once so far).

As far as my original question, though, did I damage anything by pressing too hard?

vinsalducci

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2016
I completely disagree with the folks saying to use any isopropyl alcohol. I would instead recommend getting a cleaning kit called WHOOSH-comes with a cleaning cloth. It's what is used in Apple stores on the floor products. Works like magic.

Great on MacBooks, Phones, iPads, whatever.

Available on Amazon.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
I always use a slightly damp microfiber cloth with light pressure, then dry with another microfiber cloth.

I would think any damage would be visible to you, dark/light spots, etc.

Reactions: azentropy

applesed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
LCDs react in alarming ways when you press on them. If it doesn't persist on the screen I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: Reggaenald

Parisi

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
I completely disagree with the folks saying to use any isopropyl alcohol. I would instead recommend getting a cleaning kit called WHOOSH-comes with a cleaning cloth. It's what is used in Apple stores on the floor products. Works like magic.

Great on MacBooks, Phones, iPads, whatever.

Available on Amazon.

Woosh is Garbage.

It leaves awful streaks on the screen that are almost impossible to get rid off. My god even their Cleaning cloth they include is abrasive. I sent that right back to Amazon! Read the reviews and look at photos of what your screen would look like if you choose to use that product.

Apple does not use Woosh anymore at their stores AFAIK or do they endorse them.

My advice is just stick to using a clean washed microfiber cloth slightly damp on a mix of pure distilled water and maybe a bit of soapy water. Even a little bit of alcohol solution can be used when done properly.

Last edited:

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
I love my new M1 and want to take care of it. I keep it really clean but get spots on the screen nonetheless.

I’ve read a lot about the Apple cloth and got one. But as I was just cleaning it and trying to remove a spot, I may have pressed too hard as there was a brief “discoloration”.

I quickly stopped and it went away but I can’t help but wonder if I damaged the screen??
Have you ever pressed on a TV or PC screen?
If it went away you didn’t damage it. Just don’t do that too often.
Also don’t clean your screen too often either. Once a few weeks at most.

Reactions: applesed

arian71

macrumors regular
May 13, 2021
Moon, and safe from the ban
why they don't make a glass screen like iphone or ipad
maybe i am ignorant on the subject but sure a glass screen would be more durable than a phone screen
the same with TVs, ****ing hate to clean my 1100 paunds Sony flimsy screen

Reactions: 81Tiger04

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
Have you ever pressed on a TV or PC screen?
If it went away you didn’t damage it. Just don’t do that too often.
Also don’t clean your screen too often either. Once a few weeks at most.
Doesn’t seem that I caused any damage as it went away #sighofrelief

Reactions: Reggaenald

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.

Some solid pointers there thanks. So far I haven't cleaned my screen, meaning the occasional spot or accidental fingerprint was lightly wiped away with a dry clean lens micro fiber cloth. However, perhaps a mistake, one or two spots I used one of those wet Zeiss wet wipes, I basically gently dabbed the spot and did the same with the micro fibre to remove any "wet" residue within seconds. But little to no pressure used. I believe those Ziess lens wipes contain alcohol, so I ll refrain from using those for spot cleaning / dabbing in the future.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I completely disagree with the folks saying to use any isopropyl alcohol.

Been doing it for years with zero issues, so not sure why you'd disagree. I'm not saying it's the only option but it's a perfectly fine option. As mentioned, I mix it 1:1 with distilled water so it's milder yet still evaporates quickly. Always leaves my screens spotless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.