Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnterrry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2020
I bought Macbook Pro 16" just 3-4 months ago. I have never dropped or damaged it in any way. Just a week ago I noticed this annoying CLICK sound coming from the top-left corner of the base. Unlike other annoying sound issues, previously mentioned in this forum, mine doesn't happen when I shake OR open/close the lid. In my case, the CLICK sound occurs when the lid is open and I:
  1. Tilt the laptop up & down (video attached)
  2. Put slight pressure on the lid in one direction (eg. from back to front) and hold it for a sec. Then release the pressure slowly.
In the attached video you can hear the click sound and it occurs just where my thumb is placed; I can feel it in my thumb/fingers, so it's definitely mechanical. The lid opens/closes smoothly and, as of now, the issue hasn't affected the screen/display in any way. It's just that it's annoying and I am worried that it might lead to problems in the future.

Has anybody faced a similar problem? Should I be worried about it or is it just another annoying "non-issue" of Macbook Pro?

Attachments

• macbook pro hinge click noise.mp4
    6.8 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:

johnterrry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2020
A friend of mines was doing that, so I opened it up it’s the batteries rattling.
I feel the sound just around where my thumb is placed in the video. But looking at the teardown it doesn't look like that any part of the battery is located in that area. Did your friend's laptop rattle around the same area as mine?
Should I be worried about it? What did you do to fix it?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I live in Pakistan. Only a small number of authorized service providers here (I think maybe 1 or 2). It's quite difficult to claim a warranty.
You can’t contact Apple and have them initiate a repair order for you? That’s what I did to get my laptop repair started while the stores were closed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.