Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
I managed to clone the whole disk to an image, then just restored the container and it’s 5 volumes back to the same disk using disk utility. I’ve just finished ‘installing’ to a disk image directly to see if I can clone that to a physical disk. What errors are you getting?
[doublepost=1559911932][/doublepost]Interestingly, Catalina does not let me restore container to container, just whole disk (which failed) or individual volumes. High Sierra had no problem with restoring like this, and asr is pottering along fine.

Last edited:

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Ok, I was able to successfully restore my ‘clean install’ image and boot it. ASR and disk utility definitely behave differently to my trusty old 10.13 version, but I don’t know if this will cause any issues moving forward

Last edited:

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I managed to clone the whole disk to an image, then just restored the container and it’s 5 volumes back to the same disk using disk utility. I’ve just finished ‘installing’ to a disk image directly to see if I can clone that to a physical disk. What errors are you getting?
[doublepost=1559911932][/doublepost]Interestingly, Catalina does not let me restore container to container, just whole disk (which failed) or individual volumes. High Sierra had no problem with restoring like this, and asr is pottering along fine.
I presume you used Disk Utility for cloning and restoring?

Last edited:

toru173

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
I presume you used Disk Utiltilty for cloning and restoring?
Disk utility and asr, so block rather than file copy. I presume file copy won’t work unless we can figure out how to recreate the ‘firmlinks’ the installer sets up

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I'll be waiting for Mike Bombich and CCC Beta to catch up. For now I use Time Machine for backup and SuperDuper for a non bootable clone for offline file recover.
Catalina is an optional boot on my systems, not the main running OS.

JohnGregory

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2017
How did you get Time Machine to backup Catalina? No matter what I do the current Time Machine shows up in the DO NOT BACKUP list and cannot be removed from the list. Therefore no Backup. Reformatting the TimeMachine Drive does not help. Renaming does not help. I have administrator authority to modify the Drive but I cannot get it to work! Getting desperate! Does anyone know how to do it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.