Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
1) What kind of memory card does the Nikon D40 use? The SanDisk Ultra II?
2) What kind of memory card does the Rebel XTI use?
3) How many pictures can fit on a 2gb card with each of these cameras?

1 and 2 can easily be found on the manufacturers' websites.

3 is dependant on the quality of photo. Perhaps googling around would give you a good idea though.

Jan 30, 2006
I have a Nikon D40x (almost the same as the D40), and I must tell you that it is an excellent camera. The thing that I would say is the major disadvantage is that it does not has an autofocus motor. But with many of the Nikon lenses starting to get AF-S this shouldn't be a problem.

Now, if you get the D40, which is around $550 USD, including the kit lens (18-55mm), you could also buy another lens. Maybe the Nikkor 55-200mm VR. But I would suggest not to buy another lens for the moment, you may find that you really never need a telephoto, and that you prefer a wide angle or a macro.

Supposing you got the D40:
-Camera: $550

-Memory: 4GB Sand Disk, around $65. I would recommend 4GB. When shooting RAW format, my 4GB memory stores around 330 photos in the D40x, maybe in the D40 it would store a little bit more, around 430-450. Believe me here, you'll need it.

-Nikon Package of bag and extra battery $100. I bought it and I highly recommend it. The bag is nice, you can easily put your camera with the kit lens attached, an extra two lenses, an extra battery, etc. The extra battery is also a good buy, you'll find yourself using it quite frequently.

TOTAL = $715 + tax

This is the essentials you'll need. Later you can get a tripod, some books, take some photography classes, or buy another lens.

Photography is a great hobby and I am sure that it is also a great job, but it do has it disadvantage. IT IS EXPENSIVE.:D

I hope this was helpful.:)

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
I can tell you this much, the Nikon D40/D40x much better than the Canon XT/XTi, in both features and ergonomics. Just go to a store and judge for yourself, it won't take long.

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Orange County, California
I have a Nikon D40x (almost the same as the D40), and I must tell you that it is an excellent camera. The thing that I would say is the major disadvantage is that it does not has an autofocus motor. But with many of the Nikon lenses starting to get AF-S this shouldn't be a problem.

Now, if you get the D40, which is around $550 USD, including the kit lens (18-55mm), you could also buy another lens. Maybe the Nikkor 55-200mm VR. But I would suggest not to buy another lens for the moment, you may find that you really never need a telephoto, and that you prefer a wide angle or a macro.

Supposing you got the D40:
-Camera: $550

-Memory: 4GB Sand Disk, around $65. I would recommend 4GB. When shooting RAW format, my 4GB memory stores around 330 photos in the D40x, maybe in the D40 it would store a little bit more, around 430-450. Believe me here, you'll need it.

-Nikon Package of bag and extra battery $100. I bought it and I highly recommend it. The bag is nice, you can easily put your camera with the kit lens attached, an extra two lenses, an extra battery, etc. The extra battery is also a good buy, you'll find yourself using it quite frequently.

TOTAL = $715 + tax

This is the essentials you'll need. Later you can get a tripod, some books, take some photography classes, or buy another lens.

Photography is a great hobby and I am sure that it is also a great job, but it do has it disadvantage. IT IS EXPENSIVE.:D

I hope this was helpful.:)

Wow, thanks for the amazing advice!! Looks like the D40 is confirmed for me lol... and the D40 with kit lens is $495 on amazon, free shipping...
I geuss I will buy the 4gb card, since it doesn't look like my 2gb can work with the D40... and what case do you recommend?

And I am currently taking classes (started today)

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Find a used D50 and avoid most of the cons. It'll save some cash and you'll have a better camera.

I don't like buying used stuff... its such a hassle, lol...

EDIT: just noticed, with Nikon D40 I will get a free 2gb memory card if I order it before the 29th
And another question, does the D40 have duel memory card slots?

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
I don't like buying used stuff... its such a hassle, lol...

Oh I didn't see he said used, yeah screw that. I know out of freak occasion people find new in box D50's still but they are becoming harder to find. I wouldn't buy used either, especially not a DSLR.

Jan 30, 2006
After looking around more, I am pretty interested in the D80 with the 18-135mm AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens, it is $0.12 cheaper then my budget (lol) Only thing is, I think it is a little more than I need... but it would be nice to have for when I get better, and expect more out of my pictures.... (comes with a free 2gb memory card if I order it off amazon before th 29th of the month)

The Nikon D80 is a nice camera also. It has built-in autofocus motor (AF lenses would work perfectly with it), it is quite heavier and bigger than the D40, which makes it feel more professional and you also get Auto Exposure Bracketing and some other advantages.

My honest opinion here is that the D80 does not offer that much more than the D40 to justify the expense. If you really want to go more serious the D200 would be an awesome buy, but it is out of your budget.

Just my 2 cents here.;)

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
And another question, does the D40 take all Sandisk memory cards? and the only dif between them all is the size and speed?
I still don't know if the card I have would work with the D40...
And to restate my question, does the D40 have duel memory slots?

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
Plus I can speak for the D80, I love mine. I've had it since the week it came out, which was about 1 year 2 months ago. give or take. Hasn't let me down once.

Also the D40 can't AF my favorite lens, the Nikkor 35mm F/2D AF because it requires a built in motor, like what the D80 and higher has (D50 and D70s had the motor also) but not the D40/D40x

EDIT
The D40 uses the same memory as the D80... SD and SDHC cards, no capacity limit.

In mine I run a 2GB SanDisk Extreme III SD, and a 4GB RiData SDHC that I bought cheap for a backup if I run out of space. The Extreme III is insane, tested as the fastest SD card on the market.

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I know the D40 has no AF motor, but like I said I will be sticking with the kit lens for a while, so by the time I am ready for extra lens' they will have AF motors... and I think manual focusing is cool lol...

Jan 30, 2006
so, would this card work? and is it a decent one?
http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Secur...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1192502273&sr=8-1

And does it have a duel card slot?? (2 SD cards at once)

Yes, that one should work. And it should be decent enough, you really don't need the latest technology in memory cards. Many companies tell you that the one they have is extremely fast, but the truth is that you rarely need that.

And nope, the D40 does not has 2 slots for memory cards.

EDIT:

The bag (case) I mentioned before is the one Nikon offers. I think it is the only one you'll find in Best Buy. It has the bag, a battery and a small book with some quick tips.

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Ok so... I geuss I will get the D40... here is what my amazon cart looks like:

Nikon D40 + Kit Lens + 2gb SD Card = $495
4gb SD Card = $34
Carrying Case + Extra Battery + Nikon School Guide = $61

Total = $640 (including tax)

But I am waiting for my dad to get back from Las Vegas (on Wednesday) so he can do the purchase (lol im only 14, don't have a paypal or amazon account...)

I will have $628 left over... so I geuss I will get myself an iPod Touch :D

EDIT: One last thing... this is the 2gb memory card I get for free with the camera... will it even work with the camera??
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=310800001&pf_rd_i=B000KJQ1DG

And do I really need the extra battery, and carrying case??
If I am only going to have the one lens, and I don't plan on taking it anywhere that would require a case, but the battery is only $30 cheaper than the case...

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I think the D40 is a great choice, especially for the price. I'm biased towards Nikon; but I've got to take issue with comments like "the D40 is so much better than the Canon XTi". There are plenty of Canon owners out there taking great pictures. More importantly, there are a lot of PRO photographers using the XT/XTI as their "light kit" camera. If someone's not getting good photos out of their Nikon or Canon (or Pentax or Sony or...) - I got news for ya, it ain't the camera bub. :D

I suspect an unbiased feature-for-feature comparison between the D40 and the XTi would favor the XTi. But a camera body isn't forever; and going with the D40 means you can upgrade your glass sooner.

Jan 30, 2006
Well, the extra battery is good when in vacations or when you need to keep taking photos and don't have time to recharge. Eventually you'll need it, maybe not at first, bu eventually.:D

And the carrying case is for you to feel safe that the camera would be OK. If you ever leave it at home, and you have someone else enter your room, you don't want that someone to accidentally damage the camera. Is it 100% necessary, no.

That card should work. It is SD. And since it already includes a memory card, you may want to wait and in the future order the 4GB.

Also, make sure it comes from a reputable store (the camera). If it ships from Amazon or B&H and some other well known stores you shouldn't have a problem. But beware some of the other stores. The most likely outcome is that nothing wrong would happen, but why risk it?

Also, check this kit lens (Nikkor 18-135mm). Since you have some extra money, this could be a good option for you.

And one last comment, don't buy without having seen all your options clearly. I imagine you have already read reviewsof all your options, have you?
Try going to a local store and see how you like the build quality of the D40 vs the XTi, or versus the D80. And most important of all: read, read, read. By doing this you'll learn many things about SLR cameras that would make you do the right choice and have some general knowledge about SLR cameras and what do they offer.

I hope you enjoy your camera.:)

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Well, the extra battery is good when in vacations or when you need to keep taking photos and don't have time to recharge. Eventually you'll need it, maybe not at first, bu eventually.:D

And the carrying case is for you to feel safe that the camera would be OK. If you ever leave it at home, and you have someone else enter your room, you don't want that someone to accidentally damage the camera. Is it 100% necessary, no.

That card should work. It is SD. And since it already includes a memory card, you may want to wait and in the future order the 4GB.

Also, make sure it comes from a reputable store (the camera). If it ships from Amazon or B&H and some other well known stores you shouldn't have a problem. But beware some of the other stores. The most likely outcome is that nothing wrong would happen, but why risk it?

Also, check this kit lens (Nikkor 18-135mm). Since you have some extra money, this could be a good option for you.

And one last comment, don't buy without having seen all your options clearly. I imagine you have already read reviewsof all your options, have you?
Try going to a local store and see how you like the build quality of the D40 vs the XTi, or versus the D80. And most important of all: read, read, read. By doing this you'll learn many things about SLR cameras that would make you do the right choice and have some general knowledge about SLR cameras and what do they offer.

I hope you enjoy your camera.:)

I would go to a store and play with them, but the only store around with the D40 out on display... they don't have a lens on it, and it wont turn on lol...
so if that 2gb works, then yeah I will wait...
I guess the 18-135 would be nice, for the extra zoom... for it as a kit lens, it's just about $180 more... is it worth it?'

EDIT: Just for fun, what is a decent macro lens?? Just so I have an idea of how much I need to save when I am ready...
I was looking at the 105mm, but $700... Could you use a telephoto lens as a macro lens? If so, what is a nice one to use...

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
My advice is to see which lenses you are planning on buying in the future, and choose your brand after that. I got into Canon cameras early on, so I'm kind of locked into that brand because of all of my lenses. But I'm very happy with my 40D :)

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
My advice is to see which lenses you are planning on buying in the future, and choose your brand after that. I got into Canon cameras early on, so I'm kind of locked into that brand because of all of my lenses. But I'm very happy with my 40D :)

I have a general idea, and Nikon has the right lens' for me... that I do\would want...

Tumeg101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
What is the difference between the D40 and D40x?

EDIT:
After looking a pictures that the D40 takes... I really see no dif between my sony cybershot point and shoot camera, and these pics...
So now I am actually seriously considering the D80 with 18-135mm kit lens, because it will last me longer, and looking at this camera's pictures, I actually see a difference... a huge difference...
But idk if I want to spend all my money on this camera, if I buy this with that lens, I will have $26 left in my savings account (lol)
For for $70 less I can get the 18-35mm... but I would rather get the 18-135, just because I have more zooming room,
argh... idk

Jan 30, 2006
I really don't know a lot about Macro lenses. But see these links: Link 1, Link 2, and your best friend: Google.:)

I think the 18-135 is worth the investment. It has a longer focal length that would let you take some pictures that otherwise you may have trouble taking with the 18-55 lens.

Differences between D40 and D40x:

- The D40x has 10 megapixels
- Lower ISO capability. From 200 (D40) to 100 (D40x)
- Faster continuous shooting rate, from 2.5 fps to 3 fps

- But the D40x has a slower flash sync, of 1/200. Instead of the 1/500 of the D40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.