Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
i am working for a big TV station and almost all of our editors use microfiber cloths to protect the screens of their 16'' MBPs from key imprints when closed.
On the other hand I talked to an Apple technician about this and he claimed that this is not necessary anymore since the screen coating supposedly got better over the years. He even argued that it is counter-productive since the microfiber cloth reduces the space between keyboard and screen when closed and therefore increases contact.
I myself us a Torro microfiber on my 13'' M1 MBP and I discovered that besides the cloth I do find key imprints on the screen when the MBP was not in use for some time - even when I didn't pack it in a backpack or so.

What's your experience on this? Still necessary or a relic from an era long ago. THX for your expertise.

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
I have them after a while when lid closed, so i use a white paper since i dont have the cloth

Reactions: kngqw

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Do the same with yours. Never mind what the Apple tech said, he's not the one who has to pay for a new screen.
That’s what I thought too. But I still get imprints after a few hours not using it even with the cloth. But they’re easy to wipe off.

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
That’s what I thought too. But I still get imprints after a few hours not using it even with the cloth. But they’re easy to wipe off.
Well yes, mine are easy to clean too, but then i read some comments that cleaning the screen too often will damage the coating. This is for sure my first and last mbp.. its too expensive to accept all these restrictions which i have to follow while basic usage … never had this with imac

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Well yes, mine are easy to clean too, but then i read some comments that cleaning the screen too often will damage the coating. This is for sure my first and last mbp.. its too expensive to accept all these restrictions which i have to follow while basic usage … never had this with imac
I am totally happy with mine. Which restrictions did you encounter?

Reactions: lostom

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have this sometimes when there is a dust buildup but there's no damage to the screen. I just wipe off the dust. If you store the MacBook Pro where there is pressure in the middle, then it could be a problem.

nothingtoseehere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2020
On my MBP 13" (2015), there are no imprints because the keys do not touch the screen when the lid is closed. After a dusty period, the dust on the screen follows the structure of the keyboard but this is only dust, as @pshufd writes, and not an imprint.
Might be different if you exert serious pressure on the lid but that could have other drawbacks, too ?

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2015
I am totally happy with mine. Which restrictions did you encounter?
Cleaning the display and trasporting the mbp in a bag with other stuff. Automatic gpu switching is joke as well, cannot set the aps manualy

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
I use this micro-denier polyester fabric

1.jpeg

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
On my MBP 13" (2015), there are no imprints because the keys do not touch the screen when the lid is closed. After a dusty period, the dust on the screen follows the structure of the keyboard but this is only dust, as @pshufd writes, and not an imprint.
Might be different if you exert serious pressure on the lid but that could have other drawbacks, too ?
No pressure on the lid over here. 'cause of the lockdowns it rarely leaves the house. Design is just very tight these days.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Put a sheet of computer paper between the screen and the keys (noting which side is a or b with the paper so as to not inadvertently transfer oils). As others stated, you can also use a very thin microfiber cloth. If you still have the white packing piece that came with your Mac (inserted between the keys and screen) use that.

Definitely don't listen to the tech.

Reactions: GumaRodak

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Put a sheet of computer paper between the screen and the keys (noting which side is a or b with the paper so as to not inadvertently transfer oils). As others stated, you can also use a very thin microfiber cloth. If you still have the white packing piece that came with your Mac (inserted between the keys and screen) use that.

Definitely don't listen to the tech.
No I wont listen to him for sure. But why do I get imprints even when using the cloth?

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
More than likely, you didn't mark the cloth to note which side is touching the oily keys. And the side of the cloth you think is clean has gotten oily as well. That is why I make a small mark (if need be) so that doesn't happen.
I surely have an a and a b side. ?But du sometimes use the cloth to clean the screen. That’s probably where I comes from. Not a big deal. Just wipe it clean - ore is cleaning the screen with a soft cloth a bad thing too?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I surely have an a and a b side. ?But du sometimes use the cloth to clean the screen. That’s probably where I comes from. Not a big deal. Just wipe it clean - ore is cleaning the screen with a soft cloth a bad thing too?
Cleaning the screen is not a bad thing per se. However, you want to limit how often you do that as I believe delimitation of the screen coating still occurs. If possible leave your screen open. I use a feather duster on my screen every 3 - 5 days.

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Cleaning the screen is not a bad thing per se. However, you want to limit how often you do that as I believe delimitation of the screen coating still occurs. If possible leave your screen open. I use a feather duster on my screen every 3 - 5 days.
Even if you use a soft microfiber cloth only...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.