Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Cloud- and Sync-Options for PPC

I'd like to start a discussion about the Cloud- and Sync-options for PPC's with Tiger/Leopard - especially when it comes to synching with an iPhone-(App) running the latest iOS and the option to collaborate with PPC-Macs(Tiger/Leopard), intel-Macs(Lion), intel-Macs(El Capitan) and iOS.
I mainly thought about synching-options for Todo-Lists, Outlines, and Notes since file-sharing is working nice (both locally and via webDAV) and seems to be future-proof.

Currently I've checked and use the following things:
- webDAV: "Finder/Goto/Connect with Server/https://webdav..." (with two big local email-/internet-providers: GMX, T-online). Problems: changes made on one device get laggy synched to other devices and you better log-off/log-in to be up-to-date. Synching folder from the iBookG4 to the webDAV using ChronoSync or CCC unfortunately takes very very long. On the other hand you can browse the webDAV with any WebBrowser to find and download any file.
- Dropbox: (thanks to Czo, that he still able to keep it alive)
- TeamViewer7: connects PPC/Intel-machines/Win
- DevonThinkOfficePro: option to run a server ("DEVONthink Pro Office features a built-in web server that makes sharing your documents on your local area network as well as over the Internet a one-click action. It also comes with an Web-2.0-ish web application that lets your access your database from an Apple iPhone.") I've managed that localy via Bonjour without any effort. Maybe worth to try out, setting up an old PPC as centrel server for all Macs and iPhone... Unfortunately it lacks of a preview option for Office-files and those files must be downloaded for viewing. On the other hand nice searching feature over the browser-interface.

Browser-based stuff:
- Toodledo:
- Remember The Milk:
- CarbonFin Outliner:
- Evernote: only Browser-based anymore since the latest Evergren-version for PPC is unable to log-in anymore due to the new two-step autentification
- iCloud partially works on TFF (but is really too slow and not an option) - I only managed to see the TaskList...

This list is by far not complete (I think about SohoNotes, Things, Omnifocus etc. which also might offer backward-compatibility...?)
Would be nice to hear, more examples of running software and workarounds ...
Cheers
Robert

Reactions: G4fanboy

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
As a user of both PPC & Intel MACS and several Windows based systems, I'll toss my $.02 in here.

NeoRouter - it alows you to build a private VPN network between computers. Requires a little planning and some work to setup but provides a lot of flexability.

Evernote - the client still works if you don't enable two-factor. For me the lack of 2-factor (on the PPC) restricts it's use to a scratchpad (for non confidential info) between my PPC & Intel systems.

TeamViewer - the PPC version / binary is really old. It has memory leak issues (check your logs while its running). You can control older versions (PPC) from newer versions (Intel) - but not the other way around.

DropBox - it works, but.... because its a hack we could be pushed back to the (less convient) browser at anytime.

Reactions: G4fanboy

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
DropBox - it works, but.... because its a hack we could be pushed back to the (less convient) browser at anytime.

If it were back to the highly inconvenient browser version, how well does it work as a Fox Box?

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I have a central backup server running SSH and access it with SFTP for everything. I use it from my OpenBSD machines, a Linux desktop that powers the TV, and my iPhone (via the Turbo Client app) . Friends and family can use it with OS X, Android, and Windows (via WinSCP) too.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just going to put this out there because I've used it in the past. They still support PowerPC on 10.5.8 AND the app has integration with iCloud.

SOHO Organizer

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
As a user of both PPC & Intel MACS and several Windows based systems, I'll toss my $.02 in here.

NeoRouter - it alows you to build a private VPN network between computers. Requires a little planning and some work to setup but provides a lot of flexability.

Evernote - the client still works if you don't enable two-factor. For me the lack of 2-factor (on the PPC) restricts it's use to a scratchpad (for non confidential info) between my PPC & Intel systems.

TeamViewer - the PPC version / binary is really old. It has memory leak issues (check your logs while its running). You can control older versions (PPC) from newer versions (Intel) - but not the other way around.

Thanks for your hint about Evernote-settings. I'm happy to run the EvernoteApp again. :)
To sad NeoRouter is far beyond my capabilities.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I tend to use FileZilla with my ftp server for sync nowadays. It's not automated, but at least it works and is unlikely to be discontinued.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Just going to put this out there because I've used it in the past. They still support PowerPC on 10.5.8 AND the app has integration with iCloud.
SOHO Organizer
Wow, SOHO Organzier ...
That's the missing link! Thanks for that hint!
Brings iCloud to PowerPC. Great stuff.
Hope they'll keep in touch with iCloud and PPC.
Could be a bit faster on my G4-Books and makes them "SteamBooks" - especially when running alongside iTunes and webKit. Never mind - no cold fingers anymore on freezy winter days :)

Now, with all your help, I've got Dropbox, Evernote and iCloud (iCal/Contacts) resurrected on my Leopard-PPC devices. Great stuff!
Many thanks!!!
[doublepost=1457472904][/doublepost]
Icloud through fluid or tenfourbox is the best if you have an iphone.
Which version of Fluid do you use to run on Leopard/PPC?

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Wow, SOHO Organzier ...
That's the missing link! Thanks for that hint!
Brings iCloud to PowerPC. Great stuff.
Hope they'll keep in touch with iCloud and PPC.
Could be a bit faster on my G4-Books and makes them "SteamBooks" - especially when running alongside iTunes and webKit. Never mind - no cold fingers anymore on freezy winter days :)

Now, with all your help, I've got Dropbox, Evernote and iCloud (iCal/Contacts) resurrected on my Leopard-PPC devices. Great stuff!
Many thanks!!!
[doublepost=1457472904][/doublepost]
Which version of Fluid do you use to run on Leopard/PPC?
You're welcome!

Fluid 0.92 to answer your last question. This version and the handful before it were the betas and were universal. Nothing above 0.92 will run on PowerPC.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1932210/Fluid.app.zip

Same link, same place, just replacing because Dropbox killed the Public folder.
Fluid 0.9.2

Last edited:

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
Wait wait wait, I thought dropbox officially dropped support... so what's this hack version then? How do you use it?

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
If you want to use two-factor with Evernote create a TenFoxBox - it works great :cool:
Ah, thanks. Currently I appreciate to use the native Evernote-app. Nothing of real importance at Ervernote, so I do not need two-factor-login recently.
But I have to take a look at TFBox and the other stuff to speed-up TFF. In the meantime I'm quite happy with webKit and my Fluid-boxes.

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I'm getting a "Please update within the next 1 day" notice from Dropbox on my 12" PB now. I also noticed that I couldn't install it on my 15" PB. It wouldn't let me log in. This is using the hacked version on both machines.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.