Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eneco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
Hey folks,

I'm having a real hard time to work with the internal bluetooth card. Its range is so limited, that my Magic Mouse lags, stutters and is not usable at all. The Mac stands right beneath my desk and is maybe 1,5m away from the Magic Mouse.

I already did some experimantation with USB bluetooth dongles. Even though they resolved the lag problem, they don't work during boot up to select a different start up disk or enter the recovery mode.

So I was thinking about replacing the WIFI and bluetooth card with the upgrade kit from OSX WIFI:
https://www.osxwifi.com/product/mac...94360cd-802-11-a-b-g-n-ac-with-bluetooth-4-0/

But I'm not sure if this will increase the bluetooth range and signal strength, as the card is still at the same position within the mac, which shields the signal due to its design.

Has anyone some experience with the OSX WIFI upgrade kit?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
There are threads on MR about this. For my 2009 cMP, place under the desk but less than 4 feet from the Magic Mouse, it was useless. It could barely go a few seconds before losing connection. I tried a MM2, and it was rock solid.

Eneco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
Oh, so this is more an issue with the Magic Mouse than the Bluetooth card itself? Interesting!

But does the Magic Mouse 2 even work well with the old Mac Pro 2009, as it says Bluetooth 4.0 is required?

Last edited:

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I am someone who really likes MM, though I understand that they're not for everyone. I was disappointed it never worked with my 2009 cMP. But a friend had to replace his MM, and he brought over a MM2. I tried it for 30 minutes and it was worked perfectly. I bought one and it works perfectly. I don't care enough about Continuity and WiFi on this system to replace the BT card.

Eneco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
That's great to hear. I also couldn't care less about Continuity and Handoff, I would have done the upgrade just to get the Magic Mouse working, cause I really love that mouse. So I guess I will just get the version 2 and everything should be fine again.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Hey folks,

I'm having a real hard time to work with the internal bluetooth card. Its range is so limited, that my Magic Mouse lags, stutters and is not usable at all. The Mac stands right beneath my desk and is maybe 1,5m away from the Magic Mouse.

I already did some experimantation with USB bluetooth dongles. Even though they resolved the lag problem, they don't work during boot up to select a different start up disk or enter the recovery mode.

So I was thinking about replacing the WIFI and bluetooth card with the upgrade kit from OSX WIFI:
https://www.osxwifi.com/product/mac...94360cd-802-11-a-b-g-n-ac-with-bluetooth-4-0/

But I'm not sure if this will increase the bluetooth range and signal strength, as the card is still at the same position within the mac, which shields the signal due to its design.

Has anyone some experience with the OSX WIFI upgrade kit?
It's been a problem with the cMP all along. You might want to check around, some people have had luck swapping antenna leads to improve the issue. A new card using the same antennas will not improve it.
I added an antenna fixed to the inside of the front grill. Helped marginally. It's good enough that it works with my keyboard and mouse, but Continuity is often still spotty.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I have a Kingston 4,1 external USB Bluetooth dongle attached to a heavily shielded ( long ) USB cable which puts the dongle over 1 metre away from my USB 3.0 PCIe card ( no interference any more ).
Everything works perfectly . . good connectivity up to 10 metres from the cMP.
You could even insert one of these dongles in one of your front USB ports - it will work. Your Magic Mouse will work.
My El Cheapo Bluetooth keyboard ( ¥1,400 -U.S.$ 12.50 ) in Japan ) works flawlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.