Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6foot4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2019
Evening all. I have a cMP 5,1 running 10.13.6 and boot ROM MP51.0089.B00. I cannot upgrade to Mojave yet as the professional software I use (Pro Tools) is not yet stable with it.

I have an Angelbird PX1 with a 1TB Adata SX8200Pro in it. For the life of me, I cannot get it to be recognized in Disk Utility. I don't care about it being the boot drive as I have a regular SSD for that which is totally fine right now. I just want to have the Angelbird in there as my super fast production drive. About to start a new Netflix show and would love to have this going before it does.

I have an RX580 running but do also have an Apple EFI card I can troubleshoot from if need be. I had to use that when upgrading to High Sierra, but the 580 has been working fine for a year now.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Evenign all. I have a cMP 5,1 running 10.13.6 and boot ROM MP51.0089.B00. I cannot upgrade to Mojave yet as the professional software I use (Pro Tools) is not yet stable with it.

I have an Angelbird PX1 with a 1TB Adata SX8200Pro in it. For the life of me, I cannot get it to be recognized in Disk Utility. I don't care about it being the boot drive as I have a regular SSD for that which is totally fine right now. I just want to have the Angelbird in there as my super fast production drive. About to start a new Netflix show and would love to have this going before it does.

I have an RX580 running but do also have an Apple EFI card I can troubleshoot from if need be. I had to use that when upgrading to High Sierra, but the 580 has been working fine for a year now.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!
I would recommend you to upgrade the boot ROM to 140 first. Follow this and this. You don't need to install Mojave.

Reactions: bsbeamer

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
The download of Boot ROM Version: 140.0.0.0.0 is absolutely essential for your NVME SSD to be recognized and to work. It really is not difficult. It's a bit easier if your GPU has a boot screen, but really that is not necessary any more.

Just download the latest FULL installer for Mojave from the App Store. Run the installer and follow instructions. The first thing it will do is upgrade your Boot ROM. When you restart after installation you can then quit the installer without installing Mojave.

Lou

skizzo

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2018
pro tools 2018 isn't exactly stable on 10.13.6 either. personally see no difference returning to 10.13.3 or even 10.12.6. I have yet to upgrade to 10.14.X due to not wanting to deal with the APFS change currently.

now about the NVMe disk. like bsbeamer just noted I am skeptical if it is compatible. I am positive my 970EVO showed up as a normal data drive when I was on the MP51.0089.B00 boot rom. the 140+ boot rom is what gives bootability to those disks. so it does make sense to upgrade firmware to be extra safe that is not the issue. however, if you do upgrade firmware and still cannot have the disk seen in macOS then it must be the model disk you have is incompatible

Reactions: 6foot4

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Did 10.13.6 bring support for SMI SM2262 controller, or is this something with NVMe protocol version support in 10.12 vs 10.13?

6foot4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2019
Interesting. Thanks for all the tips everyone. I'll get 140 installed and see if that makes any difference. If not, I'll assume it must be the blade and replace it. I'll report back!

6foot4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2019
One other thing I should mention, just in case it would bring any conflicts is that I do have that NVM Express driver installed, detailed here.

Do you think that would conflict with anything in my system and getting it to recognize the drive?

6foot4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2019
Yes, remove it.
OK. Is it as simple as removing that kext file, or do I need to enter any terminal commands to finish the job? I entered

sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/NVMeGeneric.kext

after installing it. Sorry, I don't really know about terminal, so I apologize for my ignorance.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
You need to delete the kext, then rebuild your kextcache. I'm on my iPhone now, someone will explain what to do.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
OK. Is it as simple as removing that kext file, or do I need to enter any terminal commands to finish the job? I entered

sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/NVMeGeneric.kext

after installing it. Sorry, I don't really know about terminal, so I apologize for my ignorance.
sudo kextunload /Library/Extensions/NVMeGeneric.kext

6foot4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2019
Well, that did the trick. Got rid of that kext file, rebuilt the cache and bingo, it showed up! I'll work with it for a few days to see if it is stable. I may upgrade to the 140 BootRom at some point, but I'm happy with this for now! Thanks everyone.

kesdonc

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2019
Well, that did the trick. Got rid of that kext file, rebuilt the cache and bingo, it showed up! I'll work with it for a few days to see if it is stable. I may upgrade to the 140 BootRom at some point, but I'm happy with this for now! Thanks everyone.

Hello 6foot4,

I plan to buy a SX8200Pro myself for a MP5.1. Did you have any issues with the drive ? Any problems of stability ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.