Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I gave up on my cMP5,1 to run Big Sur 11.0.1 on the main disk and reverted to Catalina. I still have it as an alternate boot in addition to Mojave. The pain was that I had upgraded my fast NVMe and had Catalina as a smaller install on an SSD.

Overall it worked just fine including hand off and watch unlock, but the USB2 and USB3 issues drove me bonkers.
  • USB 2 built in would not recognize HID devices unless plugged in before boot.
  • USB 3 would stutter video and audio streams (webcam and speakers.)
  • VMware would not run due to Hypervisor requiring XSAVE. I had switched to Parallels, so less of an issue.
Very painful, since my CCC clone ended up not restoring properly and I have to spend hours doing a "clean build." I had already upgraded the smaller Catalina SSD to Big Sur.

The differences between the two are mainly optical. I need this stuff to work.

Reactions: MisterAndrew

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I've thought about trying Big Sur on an unsupported Mac (my 2012 MBP), but it looks it's not worth it with the issues. Especially since Mojave and Catalina work pretty well. I have Big Sur on my 2013 Mac Pro, but I may go back to Catalina or Mojave. We'll see. It seems to have a fair number of bugs still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.