Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Champton89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2024
Curious if the code scanner app can be deleted? I’m not sure where to locate it. To do it now I search for it. Also not sure why there needs to be that and the one in the camera app. I know the code scanner uses the internet in the background while the camera app force launches safari.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
It can't be deleted and has been there since iOS 14. It's also what's used if you add it to the Control Center. (Could also be assigned to the Action button or Back Tap feature via Shortcuts.)

The Code Scanner app has some benefits vs. using the Camera app.
  • More user friendly, especially if you scan different QR code types (Wi-Fi, Call, SMS, Text, etc.)
  • Links open up in an isolated web browser. This means the "unknown" site you just opened can't track your browsing habits unless you open it in full Safari.
  • Can turn the flashlight on to illuminate the code (can't do that with the Camera app).
  • With the Camera app, you can only scan QR codes in 'Photo' mode. If you have your camera settings set to preserve your last camera mode used, it may be a bit more cumbersome to scan a code because you have to switch it back to 'Photo' first.
  • This gives you another way to scan codes if you have if you have 'Scan QR Codes' disabled in your camera settings. (Some people find it annoying when a detected QR code pops up when they just want to take a regular picture, so they disable it.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.