Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basse

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I noticed that my photos look a bit different when I edit them in Lightroom's Develop module and then open them in Photoshop. After some googling, I tried to change Lightroom's external editing options to match my PS's working color space and vice versa, but no combination gave me any different results, including converting the color spaces in PS.

I also found some writings about incorrect monitor profiles etc. However, that shouldn't be my problem since my display is hardware calibrated.

What's up with this? Really quite renders LR unusable (as anything else than an expensive photo library anyway), if I have to do all the adjustments again in PS.

//basse

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I'm no Lightroom expert, but perhaps you've switched on proofing by accident (e. g. a print preview using a certain profile)? That would typically reduce saturation (because the gamut of typical printers is smaller than that of your screen).

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
ProPhoto is Lightroom's default color space and your Photoshop file is using the default for external editors - 16 bit ProPhoto, so it's probably not a color space issue. Did you make any adjustments to the image in Lightroom prior to editing the image in Photoshop, and did you elect to carry forward those adjustments to the image you're opening in Photoshop?

basse

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I'm no Lightroom expert, but perhaps you've switched on proofing by accident (e. g. a print preview using a certain profile)? That would typically reduce saturation (because the gamut of typical printers is smaller than that of your screen).

Man, I already hoped that was it, but no, View -> Proof Colors is unchecked.

//b

basse

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
ProPhoto is Lightroom's default color space and your Photoshop file is using the default for external editors - 16 bit ProPhoto, so it's probably not a color space issue. Did you make any adjustments to the image in Lightroom prior to editing the image in Photoshop, and did you elect to carry forward those adjustments to the image you're opening in Photoshop?

Yes and yes. I made some quick adjustments and checked that they appear in PS. The difference between what LR and PS display is pretty much constant, no matter what and how much I adjust in LR.

//b

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.