Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakfrost

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
Just wondering if all MBP's come with only one color profile to (choose?) from..'Color LCD'.

Thats all that is displayed under System Preferences>Displays>Color.

My alum 24" has at least 4 or 5 different choices and I really like the last one in the list. I'm not at home now and can't remember the name for it but it ends in 1998 I think...

Can I 'import' it into the MBP? Would it work?

Jim

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am guessing you are looking for Adobe RGB (1998) color space, which you can download from Adobe.

Although visually calibrating is not optimal, why not just calibrate and see if you can create better profile?

Zeiss

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2006
Australia
Adobe RGB 1998 is not a monitor profile, it is a working space profile, so it is not going to do much for your screen. Unless you have a profiling tool and software for your screen [like Gretag Macbeth i1], the only option is to use the visual calibrator in the color settings of your screen [although you are not 'calibrating' your screen because there is no way to control the output - you can only edit the LUT on the video card, so you are making a profile of your screen].

jakfrost

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
Actually the profile I was thinking of is:

sRGB IEC61966-2.1

I was away from my home base when I posted and made a poor guess which profile I was using on the iMac 24".

That was the one I was wondering if there was someway to get it into the MPB since it looks so good on the 24".

The only profile available on the MPB is Color LCD.

Jim

jakfrost

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
WOW!! What a great resource!! Thank you very much. I haven't tried them yet but as soon as time permits I will be all over that .zip file ;).

Oh, I learned something else...I never knew the posts were numbered :eek:.

Jim

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Even with a laptop's LCD a photographer should calibrate it using a tool like the Spyder Pro (or Huey, or whatever) rather relying on guesswork or what looks "right" to his/her eyeballs, unless you're never ever planning to post your work on the web, print it out, or share it with another person.

nick@

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
My Place
profiling MBP

Westside guy

What brightness do you profile your MBP at? Mine's a 15.2" LED LCD - a good one, none of that yellowing.

My prints have been coming out darker than the screen and I think its because I profiled on full brightness and have been running the thing at full brightness. So I think I need to profile and edit at a lower brightness but I'm not quite sure where is optimal.

I'm using gamma 2.2 and whitepoint of 6500k but I'm not sure what the best brightness setting for the screen is. I've been reading lots about targeting luminance of 100-120cd/m2 (and lots of different opinions on the range) but I've got a Spyder 2, not a Spyder Pro and can't target a luminance value. So I'm guessing a bit and reducing the brightness by 4 presses of the F1 key.

Any advice appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.