Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
USA
India is turning out to be as colorful as I had been led to believe. For a photographer there is so much to take in. The country's geography is extremely diverse much like the United States. On this first trip to India I am visiting Chennai on the east coast. The tsunami of 2005 hit the coastline pretty hard, but did not come as far inland as it did in Indonesia. The coastline has recovered, and several of the photographs are from the coastal village of Mahabalipuram.

All of the photos except the first was taken with the Nikon D200 and the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR-II. That is the only lens that accompanied me on this trip and it has turned out to be exceptionally good and convenient. I'm very satisfied with the sharpness, color, and contrast.

En route.
orig.jpg

Lighthouse at Mahabalipuram.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Very nice. We were talking about a trip to India the other night and I got quicly shut down.

Out of curiousity, are you using a circular polarizer? Looks like a lot of reflected light in the images - nothing wrong with them, I am merely curious. ;)

I'm really glad you posted these.

Southern India is breathtaking. I haven't been there since I was 19, but the Temples, WOW! It was a truly wonderous place. Did you see any of the (don't know proper term...) hindu religious members doing the colored sand morning ceremonies? Those things are spectacular.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Excellent shots!

I love how the Coca Cola umbrella is inverted and no one seems to care. Of course, I also like the ice cream bar ad. ;)

CocaColaUmbrella.png

ksz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Thank you all. :) The credit belongs to the people and the places. The people in particular are among the most gracious that I have met. There is poverty and strife here like everywhere else, but it's good to see the economic progress this country is making.

iGary: Several photos were taken from inside a car, hence the reflections. No filters were used.

Boggle: A Hindu ceremony was taking place in the temple shown in the 7th photo. Smoke was rising from a hole in the center of the structure while several priests were attending to various rituals. The sun was at the wrong angle to take any decent pictures.

mkrishnan: There is an economic turnaround taking place. This is one of the most promising times for India in a long while. I am here because of that economic turnaround -- my company has opened a development center in Chennai.

jsw: haha, didn't notice!

With a couple more weeks left to go, I hope to post additional pictures as travel opportunities permit. I'm still trying to capture a variety of scenes from daily life.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
ksz said:
mkrishnan: There is an economic turnaround taking place. This is one of the most promising times for India in a long while. I am here because of that economic turnaround -- my company has opened a development center in Chennai.

I know...it makes me so happy. I want to see Chennai get to rock Bangalore's level with its own style. The South rawks. :) What's beautiful to me about Chennai is the extent to which everyone pretty much gets along across religious lines.

P.S. The family I spend the most time with in Chennai lives in West Mambalam. :)

And thank you again for bringing me a piece of my heritage with your great photos! ;)

ksz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
USA
batman123 said:
I am loving that boulder shot, that doesnt quite roll down the hill. Lol, great. Where did you take that shot?
That's also taken at Mahabalipuram. All of the structures you see in the various photos were carved from single giant boulders that dot this part of the coastline (the Coromandel coast). This particular boulder, I think, is affectionately called the butterball...may have to check my facts.

Meanwhile, Wikipedia has a good one-page historical summary.

The shape and anchor of this ball obviously invite a number of fun poses...

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

EDIT: Hmm, my memory isn't as bad as I thought. It is indeed called the Butterball, or more properly, the Krishna Butterball.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
USA
skipskop24 said:
I loved how they were selling Lays chips and Coca Cola. :p
You know, I was searching high and low for a Starbucks. Didn't find any! :) They have McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Dominos, Kentucky Fried Chicken, and Barista Coffee. The Starbucks Empire has not stretched out this far, but judging by how fast it has invaded Japan, Taiwan, and Singapore, their ships are probably not far off the horizon...

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
ksz said:
Thank you all. :) The credit belongs to the people and the places. The people in particular are among the most gracious that I have met. There is poverty and strife here like everywhere else, but it's good to see the economic progress this country is making.

I think it is all about how we approach others in our travels. In my first overseas trip this past February to Iceland and London, I was confused more than once as an ex-pat on holiday. The reason why was that I didn't think that the world revolves around US policy. I also had an understanding of issues facing Iceland and the UK - including a basic understanding of issues behind the EU.

I look back on my research and reading with fond memories. With Iceland in particular, I see the benefit in their geo-thermal energy being able to address the electric needs of the UK and other nations. At the same point I share concern about the interior of Iceland and the geo-thermal energy being used to produce aluminum.

Also in Iceland, I think it was my modest attempts to speak the Icelandic language. My simple attempts at answering in Icelandic where met with admiration IMO. Simple word and phrases were met with positive responses. For the Icelandic language is very difficult, and spoken by few outside of Iceland.

My being able to butcher "Talar þú ensku?" got me far in Iceland.

Maybe I am wrong, but simple phrases and words can go far when traveling in countries of different languages.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
I'm from the North, haven't traveled to the South but you make me want to go. There just seems to be so much more there, culturally and historically, when compared to Mumbai, where I always go back to. I also haven't yet visited Punjab (where my parents are from) and any of the upper states (except for Delhi). Hmm... time to be a tourist in my home country! :D

irmongoose

ksz said:

iGary: Several photos were taken from inside a car, hence the reflections. No filters were used.

Boggle: A Hindu ceremony was taking place in the temple shown in the 7th photo. Smoke was rising from a hole in the center of the structure while several priests were attending to various rituals. The sun was at the wrong angle to take any decent pictures.

jsw: haha, didn't notice!

With a couple more weeks left to go, I hope to post additional pictures as travel opportunities permit. I'm still trying to capture a variety of scenes from daily life.

Excellent, I look forward to seeing them. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Wow some really nice photos. My favourite is the boats on the beach.

I have always wanted to visit Southern India. It must be a fantastic place. You're very lucky to be working out there. Enjoy your time.

fradac

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Atlanta, GA
amazing pictures. i have visited mahabalipurum when i was younger, about 14-15 i think...

and you are right indeed you will find few countries with more culture and life than india :)

i am actually going to visit this wednesday after 4 years. can't wait to see all my friends and family . i am taking 2 cameras along will post some pictures when i get back

:)

ksz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Chip NoVaMac said:
...Also in Iceland, I think it was my modest attempts to speak the Icelandic language. My simple attempts at answering in Icelandic where met with admiration IMO. Simple word and phrases were met with positive responses. For the Icelandic language is very difficult, and spoken by few outside of Iceland.

My being able to butcher "Talar þú ensku?" got me far in Iceland.

Maybe I am wrong, but simple phrases and words can go far when traveling in countries of different languages.
It helps considerably if we make any effort to speak the native language. Some lanaguages, unfortunately, are very difficult to learn because the sounds are tongue-twisters for English speakers, often requiring us to learn new tongue, lip, and jaw movements. This was the case with me and Chinese (Mandarin). I find Japanese to be very easy to pronounce, but Mandarin is something else entirely. The word for 'airport' caused me endless grief while I was in Taiwan for 8 months last year. I managed to learn the numbers, but even there the words for 'four', 'seven', and 'ten' are horrendous and differ by subtle variations.

India has so many languages that everyone uses English as the common language! When in doubt as to which dialect to use in India, just speak English!

fradac said:
...i am actually going to visit this wednesday after 4 years. can't wait to see all my friends and family . i am taking 2 cameras along will post some pictures when i get back

:)
Thanks for your comments and be sure to post those pictures!

cookie1105 said:
...I have always wanted to visit Southern India. It must be a fantastic place...
I'd love to visit the Himalayan region in the north. I may be making two more trips to India this year so there is hope for a visit to Taj Mahal and the Himilayan border with Nepal.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
ksz said:
It helps considerably if we make any effort to speak the native language. Some lanaguages, unfortunately, are very difficult to learn because the sounds are tongue-twisters for English speakers, often requiring us to learn new tongue, lip, and jaw movements. This was the case with me and Chinese (Mandarin). I find Japanese to be very easy to pronounce, but Mandarin is something else entirely. The word for 'airport' caused me endless grief while I was in Taiwan for 8 months last year. I managed to learn the numbers, but even there the words for 'four', 'seven', and 'ten' are horrendous and differ by subtle variations.

Right you are, in regards to the Icelandic language. There are something like 300K natives on Iceland itself - but only like 400K that speak the language fluently worldwide.

For my brief stay and "brief study" of the language - many Icelanders were "pleased" at my feeble attempts at basic phrases and words. In Iceland, the second language is English.

It made a difference is some situations. To say goodbye, simple "bless" was all was needed. For a thanks, a "Takk" or the more formal, "Takk firir. Or for sorry, regardless how bad I said it, "Af-sah-kith". Or the ever popular (at least for me) - "en-eskus" - meaning "English' - when I pointed at myself.

i found being able to say hello, good bye, thank you, and "english" (American) to be enough to bridge the gap in Iceland.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.