Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grahamtearne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
Hey guys, just wandered if I could pick a few of your brains. My Grandad gave me this old picture of him and his 3 brothers that he asked me to scan and re-print with increased contrast which I have done but now as a suprise I am attempting to add colour to it for him.

This is the first time I have attempted to colour a black and white photo but I am pleased with the progress I have made so far. As you can see from the images the people are not finished as I need to colour decal things like buttons and badges etc.

My question however is what would be the best way to approach the hedge behind them. Its got me a bit stuck as it looks a tad awkerward to do as the top has leaves but the side has been cut back and just looks like branches, but I feel I will make it look 'tacky' if its brown then green on the top. Anyone have any good techniques for such things or any good tutorials?

Thanks guys, and any comments or advice on what I have done already would be much appreciated.

(for those interested this was taken just after WWII and I just love looking at this photo and it gives me great pleasure to work on it, to have your Grandad and his 3 brothers all fight for your country and allies gives me much honour and I would like to say a big thank you to all those involved in protecting our countries now, whether that be the British army or our allie(s) (USA seem to be our only one these days))

Picture2.png

Picture3.png

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I must say that it looks like you're doing an amazing job so far...

I don't have that much experience in colorizing photos, but I think that if you approached the hedge using a gradient/texture mask to make the colors look more 'natural', you might have some better results then using the actual shape.. I'm not sure how grainy the photo is.

Anyways, good luck and amazing photo!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.