Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AirborneAngel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hey guys, I'm trying to get into portrait photography and was wondering if you could give me a few critiques of the following two shots.

4377939490_1a34a2ef73_b.jpg

3910525805_3a6d285b88_b.jpg

Thanks!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
In the first image, the background is too distracting, and in the second, the lighting is too flat to be interesting. The first would be better with a plain and darker background- the second, maybe with light coming up from behind the hands.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Awesome

the first shot is great, fantastic, I love it. The idea is great, and you pulled it off very well!

compuwar is right though, the background is the weakest element.

If you had shifted the plane or angle of the camera just a bit, to make the background all one color, like the green (grass?) part, it would be even better.

The 2nd shot is boring. Very boring. It looks like it was shot by a different person.

Not enough contrast, lighting is too flat.

AirborneAngel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you! I really appreciate the feedback, the reason for the difference in quality between the two shots is about 5-6 months (I took the Black & White one a while ago.)

Do you guys think it would be worth it to try and clone stamp out some of the white (with green) in the first image? Or would it look overmanipulated?

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Do it!

Do you guys think it would be worth it to try and clone stamp out some of the white (with green) in the first image? Or would it look overmanipulated?[/QUOTE said:
Its ALWAYS worth the try!

Lets see what you come up with

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.