Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tchaap

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
This lens is for sale used on Craigslist Atlanta:

Nikon 80-200 f2.8 D

The owner is meeting me later today and will allow me to put it on my camera to shoot some photos. Any comments on this older lens. I beleive it is at least five years old. What about price?

I'm looking to replace my slower 70-300 for sports photos.

Thanks,

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I have bought one from Craigslist. There are several versions: the oldest one (which I have bought) is the push-pull type which is generally the cheapest. The IQ is great, but the AF is not as fast as with newer versions of the lens. Then there are the AF-D version with rings that looks like this or the AF-S version with ultrasonic motor and thus the fastest AF.

The price crucially depends on the version, I've paid $500 for mine, because it was virtually unused and came with its original case and UV filter. Keep in mind that you can get a new AF-D 80-200 for about $900.

Even with the oldest version, the push-pull one, the IQ is breathtakingly great. The dof is so small that I've initially thought my lens has focussing issues, but it doesn't (you might have to switch to AF-C and not use AF-S). Oh, and all of them are quite heavy.

If you want something lighter, you should also have a look at Tokina's 2.8/50-135 and Sigma's 2.8/50-150 zooms. They correspond to 70-200+ mm on film (because of the crop factor) and they weigh about half and tend to have faster AF (less glass = lighter = faster focussing action).

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
You're welcome.
In case it's not quite clear: I'm very pleased with the IQ, even though I have the oldest version. The built quality is great, it's a very enjoyable lens :)

PS My friends have nicknamed it bazooka, hehe :D

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
No, don't buy that. The pictures try to hide the fact that its the push-pull, but it is. That price is much too high, KEH sells the push-pull (the one you're buying) in excellent condition for $429.

And no, its not 5 years old. The push pull AF-D was discontinued in 1997, 11 years ago.

Its a nice lens, he's just asking way too much.

tchaap

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
No, don't buy that. The pictures try to hide the fact that its the push-pull, but it is. That price is much too high, KEH sells the push-pull (the one you're buying) in excellent condition for $429.

And no, its not 5 years old. The push pull AF-D was discontinued in 1997, 11 years ago.

Its a nice lens, he's just asking way too much.

Correct, push/pull. I just met him and looked at it. Shot some pictures with my body. I'll look at them tonight on my computer. Nice lens but heavy.

Thanks for the price info. If I go for it I'll try to get it for a price around that $429 figure.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The price is way too high. You can get a new 50-135 zoom from Tokina or a much better version of a used 80-200 Nikkor. The AF on the later models is much quicker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.