Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Hi All, I'm trying to improve my skills, I took this photo in Prague last month and I was wondering what people thought. I haven't done any editing work on it, it is exactly as the camera took it. Thanks

IMG_0702.JPG

Date Taken: June 29, 2007

Canon Digital Rebel XT
ISO 400
Lens: 18.0 - 55.0mm
Focal Length: 18mm
Aperture: f/5
Shutter Speed: 1/1600

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Hi All, I'm trying to improve my skills, I took this photo in Prague last month and I was wondering what people thought. I haven't done any editing work on it, it is exactly as the camera took it. Thanks

IMG_0702.JPG

Canon Digital Rebel XT
ISO 400

Hmmm...

The photo isn't loading. I think .mac might be down.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA

IMG_0702.JPG

Canon Digital Rebel XT
ISO 400

I think it is too gray :D.

Edit: now that the picture is loading, this joke doesn't make sense. Just ignore me.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Yeah, the website says that iDisk is offline right now and will be back up asap.

Edit: Seems to be working again now

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Hey swifaw,

This is a nice picture. From a technical standpoint when shooting a vast landscape such as this at the widest possible focal length, you might want to stop down the aperture. Landscape images tend to enjoy the f/8 to f/11 apertures the most, and keeps parts of your picture from being out of focus due to DOF issues. Also, when shooting landscapes, it's generally a good idea to minimize your ISO speed. While 400 is good on a Canon SLR, the image would be much cleaner at ISO 100. Another thing you might want to consider is that the bank on the opposite side of the river is a bit crooked. If you rotate it just a couple of degrees CCW, it would be much better.

Composition-wise, your images need a bit of...je ne sais quoi. First off, the rule of thirds is important, and even more so when shooting landscapes. In this case, the bridge would be much more relevant if the horizon was either 1/3 or 2/3 of the way up (i.e. more water or more sky). The fact that it's in the middle makes the image a bit flat. Secondly, I would have done a little more to make the boat the focus of the image, by either zooming in a bit, or perhaps waited until it was more in relation to the bridge. It is essential to have some sort of a subject when shooting a landscape in order to put your pictures in context, and allow them to have a voice. This simply takes practice, and some thinking before you snap the shutter.

Overall this is a nice image. Keep it up.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Landscape/location photography is all about light. The pic looks a bit grey and gloomy 'cos nothing is 'lit'. Sometimes the only technique you need is patience...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.