Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
I'd like to get a few comments and critiques on the following photos with composition, color and style. The only thing I'd like to Point out is that Photoshop was NOT used in any photo (except the last one for text), strictly RAW processed, no layers, no PS/Corel/Gimp. Not that I dont believe in those but I want to see how I can push the limits with adjusting things like white balance, color selection, exposure things of that nature to produce the images I want.

Taken at Washington Park in Denver, Colorado during an hour I had to spend there
184957383-L.jpg

Sunset Park - Lakewood, Colorado
184773750-L.jpg

Washington Park - Denver, Colorado
184951266-M.jpg

4th of July in beautiful Frisco, Colorado on Main St.
179439711-M-3.jpg

One of the Soldiers that had come home from Iraq during the 4th of July parade in Breckenridge, Colorado - Never did hear his name though.
181343293-L-2.jpg

185186099-L.jpg

This last image people I undoubtedly know will give me a hard time for and scream PHOTOSHOP!!!!!!!!! LAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! etc but sadly enough the only photoshop done to this one is just the text. The B&W + red is a sort of signature style for some for my work the only twist to this was when I messed with the white balance.. totally by accident I got this red "blood" stain on the photo and partly on the bucket.

Thank you all and dont go easy on me either.

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2007
Maybe he made the same mistake as me i another thread. I didn't put in the direct link to the image, but just the link to the place it was at. Looked just like this :)

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
ahh crap sorry guys n gals forgot smuggo has to have 2 options enabled to share stuff.

so now they should all work

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
First photo: Nice composition and color, maybe a bit soft... but it works. I like the feeling of being there.

Second photo: Nice colors, distracting background.

Third photo: Crop to 'raise' the horizon which is smack in the middle - get rid of some of the large, featureless sky (cliche, but rule of thirds.) It might look really good cropped as a panoramic. I really do like the shot, though. Works real well as a B/W.

Fourth photo: Interesting use of color/grayscale. Nicely composed.

Fifth photo: Okay, just nothing special. (the photo, not the soldier... ;) ) But, pictures like this always have their place as memories and documents.

Sixth photo: My favorite by quite a bit. I wouldn't change anything there.

CBAviator

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2007
Nederland
Man. I'm going to have to make it to Wash Park when I'm in Lakewood this coming week. I was actually at Washington Park Grille the other night so it was dark and I didn't get to snoop around with the camera. I live in Avon, CO and travel to Lakewood quite often for training with FirstBank (I'm sure you've heard of them!).

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
Very good, can't notice any noise in any of the photos, and the color saturation is wonderful. Not sure how you got the areas of color surrounded by b&w in the fourth and sixth shots w/o an editing program. Over all a 10/10 for image quality. What type of camera you runnin?

edit: i just read how you did the last photo!! Did you do the same on the fourth one as well, messed with the white balance?

myjellyass

macrumors regular
May 1, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
You're obviously an amazing photogropher, and as I love all the others, I'm just gunna comment on the first picture.

I love the colour but i think the composition is a bit funny. What are you focussing on? It looks like you should be aiming at the birds, but I'm a bit confused by the whole picture to be honest. You've captured the branches and reflection beautifully, but with the birds in the foreground my eyes are confused. I know you can't command the bird's movements, but if the nearest 2 weren't there it may look much better, as the picture is obviously centred into the middle. As it is, the composition is far too scattered and i wander if you knew what it was you were actually taking a picture of before you shot it. Think what you're aiming for, where you want these objects to appear in your picture and if there's anything "blocking" the view.

Hope this helps

Jojo.

CBAviator

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2007
Nederland
You're obviously an amazing photogropher, and as I love all the others, I'm just gunna comment on the first picture.

I love the colour but i think the composition is a bit funny. What are you focussing on?
Jojo.

Each photographer has their own style and uniqueness, however, I will need to side here with the previous poster.

I feel that there is too much going on in this photo. The lake is beautiful and that's what my eyes want to focus on. Because the birds are in the foreground, however, my focus on the lake keeps being pulled to the bottom of the photograph. In addition, the birds are slightly dark as compared to the rest of the photo.

Otherwise, you have some very beautiful shots. Bravo!

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
Man. I'm going to have to make it to Wash Park when I'm in Lakewood this coming week. I was actually at Washington Park Grille the other night so it was dark and I didn't get to snoop around with the camera. I live in Avon, CO and travel to Lakewood quite often for training with FirstBank (I'm sure you've heard of them!).

I had 1 hour while waiting for a friend at Washington park and I'm just itching to go back there with a longer lens now.

I love the colour but i think the composition is a bit funny. What are you focussing on? It looks like you should be aiming at the birds, but I'm a bit confused by the whole picture to be honest. You've captured the branches and reflection beautifully, but with the birds in the foreground my eyes are confused. I know you can't command the bird's movements, but if the nearest 2 weren't there it may look much better, as the picture is obviously centred into the middle. As it is, the composition is far too scattered and i wander if you knew what it was you were actually taking a picture of before you shot it. Think what you're aiming for, where you want these objects to appear in your picture and if there's anything "blocking" the view.

Hope this helps

Jojo.

Thank you JoJo,
I get that *alot* from the photographers here while doing anything other then people photos and that is what are you focusing on what are you trying to get. I'll admit the diagonal line of the shore intrigues me I love the birds lined up. I am near sighted and I dont know what I shoot scenic wise till its on the computer for me to look at and it was one of the first shots with a new camera but I do appreciate the input it just reinforces me to stick with people shots :)

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
Very good, can't notice any noise in any of the photos, and the color saturation is wonderful. Not sure how you got the areas of color surrounded by b&w in the fourth and sixth shots w/o an editing program. Over all a 10/10 for image quality. What type of camera you runnin?

edit: i just read how you did the last photo!! Did you do the same on the fourth one as well, messed with the white balance?

1D Mark II N with a 24-70 f/2.8L or a 70-200 f/2.8L IS.
The 4th one I messed with the white balance to make the reds... red.. too much one way and its burgundy too much the other way and the colors blend with each other aka it makes a sepia/vintage look.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Thank you JoJo,
I get that *alot* from the photographers here while doing anything other then people photos and that is what are you focusing on what are you trying to get. I'll admit the diagonal line of the shore intrigues me I love the birds lined up. I am near sighted and I dont know what I shoot scenic wise till its on the computer for me to look at and it was one of the first shots with a new camera but I do appreciate the input it just reinforces me to stick with people shots :)

Images are great. Crop some of the empty space out, bring in some more detail in the first image and you have winners. Stick with all forms of photography, not just one form. You can be good at all, but great at one or two, this isn't the decade for artsy fartsy I only shoot this type or that type of photography, we all have to be well rounded.

Being near-sighted shouldn't play on your photography at all, even with manual focus. Diopters and autofocus are wonderful additions.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Images are great. Signature in bottom-right is distracting. Try a single-color sig? An embossed sig? Photoshop does both easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.